Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,607   Online: 961

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I take it you already own a large, quality tripod?

Film like Tri-x will run you a bit over $1 per sheet. Color film two to three times that. Sending out color film for development can easily run over $4 per sheet depending upon where you send it.

Spotmeters? All over the place, but on eBay you can find decent ones for a couple of hundred dollars, a bit less if they are the older analog type. I have a Tenba branded spotmeter which is essentially identical to one of the older Pentax models... but these still go for over $100.

Fortunately focusing loupes can be had for around $40.

$800 doesn't go as far as it used to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can spare a bit extra for a second hand lens get a chamonix, $800 will cover a new one. They're absolute beauts, I love using mine. They're so light too. Had a rusted up technika V for a day with some infected lenses and sent it back to the guy on ebay straight away. Way too heavy for my liking. Then you can always get a rollfilm back later. I've got a sinar zoom for it that does multiple formats. Depends whether you want it for reaction shots though which you probably do, then it's gotta be a linhof or graflex. I've never used a 4x5 with a rangefinder so can't comment. Would be interesting to though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know why no-one has mentioned it yet, but I suggest buying a good solid speed graphic. You can get one for about $200 with a lens. With the focal plane shutter, you can use cheap barrel lenses. You can afford the camera, a few lenses, film holders, and a bunch of film, and still have money left over from your $800 budget.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you haven't you might want to join up over at the Large Format Forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php
    They have a good for sale section but I believe you have to be a member for 30 days to see it. Your best bet would be trying to find a package deal that includes some lenses and holders. Most of this stuff is a pretty good investment unless you break it. So if you find you don't like large format you can always sell and not lose too much. Start with a 150 or 210mm lens as they are common and cheap.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange 614.261.1264, tell him what you want and see what he has in stock. Jim's very helpful, very reasonable, and I've always been a happy customer. You never can tell what they've got laying around looking for a new home.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    Go for a Linhoff Master Technika type (flatbed,
    Good thinking,
    Peter
    Peter,

If you can buy Linhoff Master Technikas for $800 please send us a boat load. Here is one at Midwest Photo.

"Linhof 4x5 Master Technika body with Super Screen
    Item #: USDLIN1014
    Price: $2,650.00 "

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone for the advice. It's clear that there are as many different ways of starting a large format system as there are large format photographers!!

I think I might be placing an order shortly at keh for:
    a zone vi mahogany camera
    a Symmar-S 210 F5.6 MC(that's multi-coated, right?)
    wisner/zone vi lensboard with the proper hole
    pack of 4 fidelity elite film holders
    and a sekonic 408 meter with a 5 degree spot

I have a tripod that I'm pretty sure will be sturdy enough and a cable release

anything I'm missing? anywhere I've gone horribly horribly wrong?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Missing a Dark Cloth and a Cable Release

For a Darkcloth you could improvise with a thick sweatshirt as an interim meassure

A 210 lens for a 5x4 is a little longer than standard - is that what you want?

A standard lens for 5x4 is a 150mm

Have fun

Martin

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I don't know why no-one has mentioned it yet, but I suggest buying a good solid speed graphic. You can get one for about $200 with a lens. With the focal plane shutter, you can use cheap barrel lenses. You can afford the camera, a few lenses, film holders, and a bunch of film, and still have money left over from your $800 budget.
    I agree.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    That's gotta be one big honkin' focal plane shutter....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin