Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,545   Online: 1131

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Missing a Dark Cloth and a Cable Release

For a Darkcloth you could improvise with a thick sweatshirt as an interim meassure

A 210 lens for a 5x4 is a little longer than standard - is that what you want?

A standard lens for 5x4 is a 150mm

Have fun

Martin

Thank you. I ordered the camera. I think the longer than normal and/or shorter than normal is more preferable for me than straight up normal.

am I wrong in assuming I can just use the cable release I already own?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are thinking about getting a large format camera, and on the fence... Trust me, 4x5 is a way more versatile camera... If you liked medium format negatives, you will shit your pants over the quality of 4x5. I guarantee it.

Don't worry, all the literature will make more sense with camera in hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Missing a Dark Cloth and a Cable Release

For a Darkcloth you could improvise with a thick sweatshirt as an interim meassure

A 210 lens for a 5x4 is a little longer than standard - is that what you want?

A standard lens for 5x4 is a 150mm

Have fun

Martin
    5x4? What is that?

He's right though. I don't see why you need a lens that long. I use a 152mm Ektar, and I have plenty of room swing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    5x4? What is that?

He's right though. I don't see why you need a lens that long. I use a 152mm Ektar, and I have plenty of room swing.
    5x4 is 4x5, different countries use different standards, some put the smaller dimension first, some put the larger dimension first.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    well it came

such a beautiful beautiful tool. It looks like it could be a piece of furniture it's so shiny.

it seems I have everything I need but the film.

One last really stupid question. I take the film out of the box, put it in the holder, shoot it, and then where do I put it??????

(the lens looks like it's what I was expecting so no surprises there, I would like something a lot shorter but that's later)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Until you shoot a second box of film...

You use the first box of film. Unexposed film stays in the packet, exposed film fits behind it in the same box.

You don't throw LF film boxes out. Ever. They come in handy for storing your undeveloped film, plus exposures, minus exposures, and finally, negatives until you find a storage system you like for negatives.

Now for questions on how to develop your film. We know how this works. *L*

timin san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congrats! Now you have the bug... you will buy other lenses in spite of the advice to practice well with the one before doing so! I prefer wide angle lenses myself: a 90mm Super Angulon is what I recommend as a wide. The 135mm Nikkor W you mentioned earlier is one of my all-time favorite lenses. I made my own darkcloth (actually the Wife did it). You need a loupe (magnifier) for focusing - unless you have really sharp eyes, I don't. You need to read up on bellows factor for your exposures, plus film reciprocity. You also should familiarize yourself with film loading procedures and know the black and white sides of the filmholder slide mean unexposed and exposed. Are you developing/printing your own? If so, tray development is fine, but JOBO or Unicolor tank development frees you from wasting time and from scratches, and is so much easier! You will have other questions: get a good book like Simmon's The View Camera. It covers camera movements pretty well, among other things. Oh, yes: you already found out, but the cable release you already have is fine.

Enjoy! This cannot be cured, ever!
    Last edited by ragc; 01-17-2009 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How very clever to use the same box! I'm not sure I would have never though about that!

Anyways, I got out to use it today. I think I might have forgotten the bellows effect, but we'll see; this one was just practice. incredibly cold and I figured out how to tilt the front to adjust the plane of focus.

Next question is definitely processing. I think the JOBO at school is only available for students who have taken the large format class which I have, of course, been unable to register for. But that's a problem I'll have to deal with the professors about.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help, I think I can take it from here. you might have a new member amongst you.
    Last edited by srmcnamara; 01-17-2009 at 06:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good luck, good shooting and welcome to the familiy !!!
    Q's later on: ask, ask, OK

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can find Unicolor stuff prettyy easily and cheaply on the auction site. In my opinion, the paper processing Unicolor tubes (with ribs inside) do as good a job as a JOBO, and the rotating motor is excellent. Remember to load the sheets with emulsion to the center (not to the outside) of the tube. All you need then is a changing bag and chemistry to do your B&W negs. I use 12 fl. oz. of chemicals to ensure coverage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin