Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,218   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Removal of haze on LF inner lens element

I have a Rodenstock 90mm/6.8 Grandagon that has moderate haze over much of one of the inner front elements. It's hard to tell exactly which surface, or surfaces, it's on. I'd like to have it removed, but I wondered if anyone who has encountered a similar problem could recommend a shop in the U.S that is experienced with such things. I assume it isn't simple to take out the elements and clean and reassemble them. (Apologies if this has been addressed before--searched for any applicable threads but didn't find any.)

If there aren't any recommendations, I'll probably take it to Phototronics in Seattle. Any reports on their work?

Thanks,

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any good photo technician should be able to clean your lens. Disassembly and reassembly of lenses is Photo repair 101. Most, if not all technicians have specific tools to disassemble lens elements. They are available from Micro-Tools.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are you shure it is not at the shutter-side ? > but in the front lens-section ?
    If it is at the shutterside can be removed quite easily by while holding the shutter unscrewing the entire front lens section.
    Clean with alcohol and a soft piece of cloth.
    Remounting: put the lens section onto the shutter and move it anti-clockwise untill it "falls" into place, then turn clock-wise until tight.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is most definitely within the front elements.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To the repair-shop I'm afraid....
    Taking lenses apart en putting them together is a tricky job if you havn't done it before.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snyder View Post
    I have a Rodenstock 90mm/6.8 Grandagon that has moderate haze over much of one of the inner front elements. It's hard to tell exactly which surface, or surfaces, it's on. I'd like to have it removed, but I wondered if anyone who has encountered a similar problem could recommend a shop in the U.S that is experienced with such things. I assume it isn't simple to take out the elements and clean and reassemble them. (Apologies if this has been addressed before--searched for any applicable threads but didn't find any.)

If there aren't any recommendations, I'll probably take it to Phototronics in Seattle. Any reports on their work?

Thanks,

John
    I wonder if this could be fungus. In that case there are a couple of things to try. One is to put the lens it bright sun for a few hours, as that can kill the fungus. If that doesn't work then the lens needs to be serviced by a good technician. Hopefully if it is fungus it hasn't etched the glass.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To do it the good way, one needs a collimator to realign the elements when reassembling and a rather clean environment too.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    To do it the good way, one needs a collimator to realign the elements when reassembling and a rather clean environment too.

Can anyone recommend someone in the US who does this type of cleaning? I have a nice 210mm Graphic Kowa lens which has this problem on the interior of its cells. If you do, any clue as to the cost for this work? Thanks. Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    Large Format
    It has been a long time, but Photography on Bald Mountain use to do this type of work. Many years ago they did a nice job on an old Wollensak for me

http://www.baldmtn.com/AINFOSHT2.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Photo on Bald Mountain and he did a great job on my Super Ikonta lens and shutter. The other place I heard about was Focal Point for this type of work. I have never used them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin