Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,357   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

lens coverage for 4x5 w/agnar from isolette 1

quick question im in the process of constructing a 4x5 field camera, ok by process i mean im sketching it out and aquiring parts i have mist of the things i need minus lens and shutter however i do have an extra isolette 1 with a bad bellows and it has a working lens/shutter i dont have it with me and cant remember the details exactly but i believe its the 3 element agnar f4.5. but i cant remember what the focal length is off the top of my head. my hope is someone knows what im talking about. my question is this would that lens being from a 6cmx6cm camera give me enough coverage to use on the 4x5 im lookin to build.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In general, unless something like a Dagor type, your lens from a 6cmx6cm camera will not cover 4x5. certainly a 3-element lens wouldn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a chance. It's either a 75mm or an 80mm triplet. It does cover 6x6 but not much more.

Keep your eyes peeled for a cheap Alpax or something similar shutter and a LF barrel lens somewhere larger than 135mm. Perhaps you will luck into a mounted lens/shutter combo in the 150mm range.

There is a great book out there on building your own primitive LF camera, including lens construction using toilet paper tubes.

Look up http://www.surplusshed.com/ A source for all types of lens elements if you are going to go this way.

Or, think pinhole.

And if this is your first LF camera, I would just go find a Speed Graphic and rebuild it. Cheaper in the long run, works the way you think it should.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 127mm Ektar commonly found on older press cameras are very inexpensive and will - barely I believe - cover 4x5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have 105mm lens from a Kodak 6x9 folder (one of the newer plastic body type) which just about covers 5x4 when stopped down. I was very surprised by this.

You can certainly use an old folder lens on a self build whilst getting it to work then spend out on a proper lens with full coverage when you are happy with the camera.

Another option is the 127mm Rodenstock lens from an old Polaroid 110 rollfilm camera. These just cover 5x4.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks every body for your input

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have the exact same lens sitting on my work bench next to a lensboard for my 4x5 camera. And I was planning on doing exactly what you were doing.

Did you actually check the coverage by mounting the lens?

I would assume the coverage is going to be a reasonable amount past 6x6, and ought to be 8.5 cm or so -- (the diagonal of a 6x6 image.)
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    35mm
    not yet i was planning on working on it this week but i have to cover some work shifts to help out another supervisor i work with hopefullynext weeken i will be able to et it done i still need some film holders i will look into that friday. but please let me know how you come out if you beat me to it

Shooter
    35mm
    i also have an old 6x9 kodak vigilant with i believe a 105mm i might tear apart since cutting and rerolling 120 to620 is such a pain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 105mm Agnar on a converted Polaroid pack film camera, it covers OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin