Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,275   Online: 774

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

shim in nikkor sw 90mm f 8

First and foremost, I want to stray from posts suggesting other lenses, because I have pretty much made up my mind, due to many factors. This is a specific question about a specific lens, and I'm looking for any information I can get on it. Thanks.

So I want to purchase the Nikkor SW 90mm f 8 lens and the only thing that I'm unsure of that I keep reading about it the brass shim in between the front cell and the shutter. Apparently it is crucial to achieve the great quality of this lens. Since I'm buying used, from what I have read I need to make sure the shim is present it the lens. I'm leaning more towards KEH rather than Ebay because of reliability and also away from MPEX and towards KEH for price. How can I tell if the shim is present? Do I have to call KEH and ask about each lens individually? Or will they be able to tell me that all SW 90 lenses that they have include the shim? Or will I get a "I don't know, they're all packed up somewhere".

Nick
    Again, I am pretty dead set on this lens, and I'm just wondering how I can really go about finding out if the shim is included with the future prospective lens i might get. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lenses are usually shimmed on an individual basis, so my 90mm Grandagon is shimmed, but my Super Angulon's aren't. If the Nikon is with it's original shutter any shim should be there, but not every lens may have needed a shim, and shims will differ too so asking if one's present isn't going to necessarily give the corect answer.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hiya,

i have one of these and it has the original shutter but no shim. some need them some don't. tis very sharp though.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian is exactly right. It is a simple problem: buy from a reliable seller with a reasonable return policy.

If the possibility that a lens might have been defiled
    is an issue for you, go to a seller with expertise, who can afford to be concerned about you.

Lens and Repro is excellent. MPEX is good. Don't be cheap.

On shims: Good design incorporates the manufacturing process. Using shims to perfect the final assembly ensures the highest possible performance while reducing lens-to-lens variability.

The 'old way' turned out lenses that were simply not as good. Besides, the testing equipment was not good enough in the old days to make shims feasible. Don't worry over nothing.

Last edited by df cardwell; 01-19-2009 at 07:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Last question: If the lens should have a shim but doesn't, will the problems be obvious? I.E gross loss of sharpness, bad DOF, etc etc.

In any event, I'm glad to know the shims aren't a must have for every lens. It's just from what I have read (being new to LF) many posts included a "BEWARE OF MISSING SHIM" disclaimer for buying this lens (Nikkor 90mm f8) used. It was all worded as if every one of these lenses should have one. It seems to make it much easier if they don't. Again, if it would be an obvious problem to see once pictures are taken with it, them I'm good to go. And I guess if it isn't obvious to see, then whether it should have one or not doesn;t make a difference if everything looks good.

P.S- Good to hear from you Ian. Last time we exchanged, it was over selenium toner and fix hardener theories. It's nice to see the same APUGers helping out. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 30+ years of LF photography I've never seen or heard the "BEWARE OF MISSING SHIM" mentioned anywhere when buying a lens. Yes of course shims can be lost and there are warnings to make sure you replace the shims when you mount lenses on new lens boards etc.

You are probably worrying about nothing.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Beautiful. Thanks much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin