Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,512   Online: 815

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie

I've cycled between 35 and 8x10 for 40 years. The pictures are equally good,
    just sometimes the moment wants one camera, or another.

Look at the wonderful pictures from 1910-1930, made of families, kids, moms... wonderful.
    Many were made with 5x7 and 4x5, and few were ever made BY the mom. The point is THIS: you can use a good 35mm camera with simple technique, and make better images than the best shooters could make at the time with their 5x7. Period. It helps, though, if you believe you can, and you can !

Be a Mom. Have fun. Do the pictures, but do it the easy way. Make something to give the little girl when she is all grown up. I envy you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The first time you look at a ground glass image is magic. There's no other word for it. There's something about viewing things so ass-backwards that just works.

The other thing I actually LIKE about my Speed is that it's the roughest of the rough cameras I've ever owned. The thing is in good shape for its age, but the leatherette finally just peeled off the front door and I took it completely off. I don't ever give a second thought to taking it out and using it as I would something that's perfect. The ground glass is clear and easy to see, even without a darkcloth. The rangefinder works, but I haven't calibrated it yet.

There are so many reasons why I want to keep it, including the fact that I just love setting the thing up and looking through it...but I just don't do it. I kind of feel it's being wasted.

I'm going to think it through a little more before I make the decision, but don't be surprise if it pops up here in the next week.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a lot harder to get back into it from scratch than it is to simply pick a camera back up again.

Take the long view, here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 612 rollfilm back that works very nicely on my crown graphic. Just something to consider. I think there are enlarging 617 backs that you can put on there too.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Consider this;
    Pack away the Graphic and get a smaller, more portable camera, say a Nikon or Olympus, and switch to C-41 film which can be processed and printed at a shop, most anywhere. You can order 8x10's of any negative which warrant enlarging. This costs a bit more, but in exchange, you get more free time to play with the baby, and, it's actually a cheaper way to learn lighting , composition, etc.

It's a different aesthetic from what you describe, but it can be quite rewarding. Later on you can go back into LF and alternative process. And you have a wonderful subject ay hand who virtually requires a fast-working 35mm approach.

good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, Stephanie -

I sure understand how kids can consume your time; I have four of them. At least photography is something you can share with your kids as they get older. If your kids happen to be your models, it's hard to shoot spontaneously with a 4x5, although the Graphics are easier to use handheld, at least. My 4x5 gear gets used sporadically, but I'm glad to have it when I feel like shooting large format. I would vote with those who recommend holding onto your Speed - the intrinsic value may be high, but the resale value is so low that it'd make more sense to stow it away, and it'll be there for you when you get the urge to shoot large. Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MANY years ago I came to the same point, which way to go.

I had placed an order with Zone VI 4X5 for a camera, two lens, and some other items and waited for it to be produced. There was a fair amount of time waiting on them at that time.

While I waited I begin to wonder if it was really the right choice with two youngsters and a demanding job.

Long story short, I requested a refund, had paid in full up front, and decided to dive head long into my 35mm gear. "For me" it was a good choice, not suggesting it would be for you.

Now I have a next to new Zone VI 4X5 and four lens, for a lot less that the original deal with only two lens, and enjoy using it.

I suspect in your heart you already know what you are going to do. Which ever you chose, I wish you luck and good shooting.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Stephanie - another vote for keeping the camera - think of all the down time it already has.
    You never know when a spring day will dawn and the idea will come to you of taking Rinoa and the 4x5 out into the warm sun to try something. Just keep some holders loaded, and exercise the shutter now and then. Meanwhile shoot the smaller stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reread your own post from yesterday on cooltouch's thread about reacquisition. With the Graphics, I promise, you will eventually want another one and when you do you'll pay a lot more for it than you realize from the sale of the first one. Sold my first one - which came free - about five years ago. Bought a replacement back in August for a lot more money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's the Alt process stuff that makes me want to sell it. I really do want to go bigger. I completely understand the fact that bigger means more money, but when I'm going to be shooting for contact printing kallitypes and salt prints the big negatives would be much better used. There's always shooting the APHS film.

I have...a lot...of negatives to print as well. As in a daunting amount. 100 or so. Just getting an enlarger now after almost 5 years of shooting is killing me. I'm adding more every day.

I think that selling it is the right thing for this moment. Especially if I end up wanting an 8x10 down the road. I'll keep my two favorite lenses (the Apotar I pulled from the folder and the no-name RR) just in case I decide to go 4x5 or get a reducing back.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin