Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,575   Online: 774

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would hang on to it, regardless of how much you're using it now. You never know, once you have some time things may be different.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Melchi turned two in December, and since he was born, I've photographed him with 35mm (SLR), 6x6 (SLR), 6x7 (8x10" view camera and sliding back and 2x3" Technika), 6x12 (Noblex), 6x17 (Technika with RF), 4x5" (Technika with RF), 5x7" (SLR), and 8x10" (view camera), and I'd say my favorite shots are with the 5x7" Press Graflex (SLR) and 8x10". With its fast rack and pinion focusing and reflex viewer the Graflex is ideal for chasing toddlers. With the big cameras, I've often just left them set up on a tripod around the house ready to shoot with filmholders loaded nearby, and I've been able to be pretty spontaneous with them.

I generally keep up with the film processing, and often I get behind on printing, but I'm really glad I have some large format images of Melchi as he's been growing up. I don't feel that I need to print everything--just the best ones. I agree with those who say to set the Graphic aside if it's getting in the way and you don't have time, but hang onto it, and there will be a time when you want to use it, and you'll be glad you did.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Use the Speed Graphic to take pictures of her! Ship the film out, or process while she's asleep.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    It's the Alt process stuff that makes me want to sell it. I really do want to go bigger. I completely understand the fact that bigger means more money, but when I'm going to be shooting for contact printing kallitypes and salt prints the big negatives would be much better used. There's always shooting the APHS film.

I have...a lot...of negatives to print as well. As in a daunting amount. 100 or so. Just getting an enlarger now after almost 5 years of shooting is killing me. I'm adding more every day.

I think that selling it is the right thing for this moment. Especially if I end up wanting an 8x10 down the road. I'll keep my two favorite lenses (the Apotar I pulled from the folder and the no-name RR) just in case I decide to go 4x5 or get a reducing back.
    Bigger negatives aren't always better. IMHO Some of the finest photographs I have in my collection are 4x5 or smaller.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Alas, most new parents need to catch up on their own sleep while the baby's asleep, not to mention other logistical issues like not being in the darkroom when the baby wakes up, nursing, etc.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie... Keep the Speed!. When my two daughters were small I was a Mr Mom to them during the day and worked evenings. I always had a camera near by, whether it was a Pentax ME Super, Yashica Mat or a 4x5 field camera. The Pentax and Yashica were used most often. Because Em and Mari were so used to me having a camera in hand, when I had the 4x5 out they didn't think it was anything special, but would be willing subjects.
    I will never forget my time at home with them, and I have a lot of (different format) negs/prints to remind me. Good luck and have fun!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    I take pictures of my 4 jack russell terriers with my speed graphic. It's not easy but it can be done. I use a flash mounted on top of a graflex flash handle, once I figure out the exposure depending on the subjects distance it's more or less simple to pull the darkslide and focus/compose with the rangefinder. It's like the Karate Kid, when he gets the fly with the chopsticks. Once you get it, you can get anything!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't advice better than what's been said already, Stephanie. I have lately gone through periods where I didn't know what I wanted to become when I grow up as a photographer.
    I decided to limit myself to shooting with two cameras this year. Both are 6x6 medium format. Large enough to contact print with a simple bulb and to see what's actually on the frames. Doing the contact sheets is fast and simple and it'll take some of that stress about printing out of the equation.

Last year I was about ready to dump all my other equipment, but friends insisted I keep it, and for that I am grateful. The speed graphic is yours. Don't sell it. Keep it around. Get a roll film back for it if you have no way of processing sheets. Or just store it away. I have a 5x7 that I use in my basement for lighting experiments. It's permanently set up, because I have a LOT to learn about lighting. So I shoot a sheet or two when I find time. Then I use the other cameras because I know them well for anything that's of stuff I'm actually serious about.

Like you I have little time this year. I work 40-50 hours per week, I put in about 35 hours per week with school. I put in about 20 hours per week on my photography business, and I take care of my wife and 14 year old. I realize that being a parent of a newborn is an around the clock job, a relentless situation. Use the cameras that you can pick up spontaneously for now, and pick up the Speed when the thought has matured that you're ready for it.

If, however, you find that your finances are such that you have to sell the Speed Graphic to get into 8x10 - then I think it's at least a good cause to get rid of it. Remember, though, that almost all cameras are capable of fantastic results, if you truly learn how to use them. There are ways to make enlarged negatives from smaller negatives at a later point in your photography life. It's even easier if you get your negatives processed as positives from dr5 or one of those places, makes it a one step process, and you can view them as positives in the meantime, or even put them in a slide projector. There are lots of options.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been in photography for 40 years both as a hobby and as a profession. I have regretted selling everything that I have sold. Over the years during hard times I have been forced to sell a few things to raise money. Things that were surplus to me earning my living. I wish I had every one of them back, and to get them back would mean spending much more money than I invested in the first place. My advice is: If you don't need to raise money keep all your photo gear. Period. It doesn't wear out sitting on a shelf. The shutters may get sluggish, but they can be easily cleaned. If you want to do alternate processes without a bigger-than-4x5 camera, you can always have your negative scanned and then make an enlarged inkjet negative on transparent film to the size you want to make your "alternate process" print. This is done by artists all the time. You can even scan yourself with an inexpensive scanner, as you don't need much resolution to go from 4x5 to 8x10 or 11x14. (sorry for the scanner mention).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I vote for dumping the body and keeping any good lenses. Graphics will always be around. When you finally find the time to dedicate to your art upgrade to a camera with movements or to a larger format and contact print. That will actually be awhile off. Even with the kid in school you'll find yourself scurrying to get stuff done. I'd shoot the other stuff and make a nice 8x10 album for the kid.

Flip side: Shoot less exposures and have fun with Ziatypes. Papoose that little bugger and go out adventuring. Maybe a "I was here" baby album. You know, sort of the like the front lawn statutory that gets abducted and goes around the world in pictures.
    W.A. Crider

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin