Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,230   Online: 1018

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have been plagued by light leaks lately...

Always along the long side of the film, toward one side. Some holders have been worse than others, but all have given leaks at some time - and not at others. When I shot the solar eclipse this spring there was no sign of it, despite the dark slide being out for well over half an hour - in sunshine.

I was inspecting the bellows yesterday without finding anything. But then I suddenly realised that on the back of my camera (under the ground glass assembly), there were two strips of velvet. There was none on one side of the back...

So now I'm taking my camera up to the local shopping mall to buy three narrow strips of black velvet; I'm replacing all to ensure even thickness.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had some trouble with my Nikon F80 this summer. Light came through the rubber foam surrounding the film window with the result that five film were ruined by stripes. I took out the rubber foam and replaced it with some that covered the film window. O fellow APUGgians! Check your cameras!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="clogz"]. O fellow APUGgians! Check your cameras!

Did this a little while ago when I found some fogging with an EOS600. The source was the foam seal betwen the back and the body. I dug the old foam out but have not yet found anything to replace it with. I tried felt but that was too thick. Am still looking for a solution to the problem but have replacement cameras so I can cope with what I have.

Images
    Here's a source for replacement foam, (look under "Restoration Supplies"), as well as many other extremely useful things for Photographers. Definitely deserves a bookmark.

http://www.micro-tools.com
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="Flotsam"]Here's a source for replacement foam

Thanks Neal, I shall study this and see what I need.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can buy a kit of light sealing foam for $6.00 on ebay. Search on "camera light seal". I bought the kit to replace my mirror damping foam on my K1000 camera. Good kit and good service.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin