Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,881   Online: 906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Having said all that, the pan tilt head you show is a very hard to work with, even harder than good ball heads. How do I know? Because I have one exactly like it.
    I have exactly that head too ... and I don't find it difficult to work with.

I do find the ball frustrating. Its worse when I am out in temperatures below -10C as the 'lubrication' for the damped movemnt becomes very difficult to work with. Eg on this day it was -11C and the plasti handles (visible in the image above) made un-tigthening and tighetning a simple procedure.

I think I'll keep the ball head for the DSLR
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Folks

thanks for your inputs, I think that I'll follow the old advice of "when you're on a good thing, stick to it"

Might try the geared pan tilt though ... but I'm worried about its cold weather ability. Here in Finland that's an issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a FLM Centerball 58FT. It's this one: http://www.fotomayr.de/webkat98/home...tml/001906.HTM
    It has an adjustable friction as well as a tilt lock. If locked with the camera adjusted horizontally you then can only tilt the camera. This way you get the best of both worlds. The 58 in the name refers to the diameter of the ball. So it's pretty heavy.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    I have a FLM Centerball 58FT. It's this one: http://www.fotomayr.de/webkat98/home...tml/001906.HTM
    It has an adjustable friction as well as a tilt lock. If locked with the camera adjusted horizontally you then can only tilt the camera. This way you get the best of both worlds. The 58 in the name refers to the diameter of the ball. So it's pretty heavy.

Ulrich
    I've been wondering about this head as a more compact alternative to my B2 for when I don't need quite so much support, and you're the first person I've encountered who actually owns one. What camera(s) are you using with it, and does it do what it's supposed to do?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've been wondering about this head as a more compact alternative to my B2 for when I don't need quite so much support, and you're the first person I've encountered who actually owns one. What camera(s) are you using with it, and does it do what it's supposed to do?
    I use it with my SL66 and right now there is a Wista Field mounted on it. It definitely works well with the SL66 and lenses between 50mm and 250mm, as long as you do not get confused with the four controls (general lock, tilt lock pan lock and friction).
    The Wista is a loan. I did not have the chance to go out with it yet but it seems to be ok, at least with the 210mm attached.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love it when people suggest that what you're using isn't "good enough" or you won't utilize your camera to the fullest etc.
    If the Bogen head works for you don't change. If you want more precision go to a gear or pan head. I don't think you would have any weight savings with a ball head because the head you illustrate is very light.
    I found the 3D head like yours difficult to align so I went to something else. As they say "different strokes" etc.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    I use it with my SL66 and right now there is a Wista Field mounted on it. It definitely works well with the SL66 and lenses between 50mm and 250mm, as long as you do not get confused with the four controls (general lock, tilt lock pan lock and friction).
    The Wista is a loan. I did not have the chance to go out with it yet but it seems to be ok, at least with the 210mm attached.

Ulrich
    Thanks for the info. I'd be interested to hear how it works out with the Wista after a little field testing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pellicle,

That is a nice image.

The Bogen 3025 head is definitely not one of my favorites, but if you works for you, fine.

In general I don't like ball heads because it is more complicated to level a camera with them than with a good pan and tilt head. The Bogen pan and tilt heads that I have include large levels and the movements operate independently of each other. Most ball heads have systems where adjustment in one direction affects the other orientation.

Basically the only thing ball heads have going for them IMO is that they are more compact and offer some advantage in weight compared to pan heads.

Sandy King[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Sandy

I have exactly that head too ... and I don't find it difficult to work with.

I do find the ball frustrating. Its worse when I am out in temperatures below -10C as the 'lubrication' for the damped movemnt becomes very difficult to work with. Eg on this day it was -11C and the plasti handles (visible in the image above) made un-tigthening and tighetning a simple procedure.

I think I'll keep the ball head for the DSLR

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The Bogen 3025 head is definitely not one of my favorites, but if you works for you, fine.
    well, that's not to say its perfect, but it is easier than the ball.

Most ball heads have systems where adjustment in one direction affects the other orientation.

Basically the only thing ball heads have going for them IMO is that they are more compact and offer some advantage in weight compared to pan heads.
    these are good points and I have a feeling (I haven't measured this) that its slightly more stable (I can't think why it could be).

thanks for the information (and the positive comment on the image)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there's a Novoflex ball head in the classified currently. It's a different configuration than commonly seen. More like the top section of a pan head mounted on a ball.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin