Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,020   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

new to LF, with strange question

Can I use a Bolex H 16 Octameter Viewfinder in a Speed Graphic 4x5 camera?

I am just navigating eb...ay non-stop looking to get a cheap speed graphic (got one last night (not that cheap)) and came across a Bolex H16 Octameter viewfinder that covers 8 focal distances? from 16 to 150. Can I use this on a speed graphic or this is just for the Bolex film cameras? I am asking because the guy is local and the price is $20

thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps, what lens is on your graphic?

I believe the Bolex film aperture is 10.26 by 7.49 mm giving a diagonal of around 12mm. I believe the octameter has 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 63mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm settings.

The diagonal of 4x5" film is 150mm. So the 16mm setting on the Octameter will approximate a 200mm lens on the Graphic and so on. If you get the 10mm adapter for the Octameter that will give a view of 125mm, or close enough to 135mm lens on the Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Carl Zeiss 13,5cm. You are saying that with the Bolex H16 I can only get near 200mm so I should look for another model, say the Bolex H10? Is that right?

not sure how to get a 10mm adapter

thanks for explaining, is the Bolex a good viewfinder anyway?
    Last edited by jaimeb82; 02-04-2009 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The bolex viewfinder is designed for the focal length lenses Bolex offered for their 16mm camera. The view may or may not match any of the lens choices you might put on your 4x5 camera. You have to interpolate the view from the focal lengths used in 16mm to the fields of view of the lenses used for 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    I have a Carl Zeiss 13,5cm. You are saying that with the Bolex H16 I can only get near 200mm so I should look for another model, say the Bolex H10? Is that right?

not sure how to get a 10mm adapter

thanks for explaining, is the Bolex a good viewfinder anyway?
    Yes, the focal lengths of the cine lenses are longer. The 'normal' 16mm cine lens (25mm) would be considered a portrait lens by still photography standards. The 10mm adapter is a little accessory piece that fits over the end of the Octameter to provide the view of a 10mm lens on the Bolex. It would give you about a 35mm lens view on a 35mm camera.

What's wrong with the Graflex? Is the viewfinder missing?

Scroll down on this page, there is an adapter for $10 USD.
    http://www.sheltoncomm.com/bolex.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin