Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,646   Online: 847

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Middle one is almost certainly an Anniversary Speed Graphic. If the one on the left doesn't have a focal plane shutter it is a Crown Graphic. And the Meridian is a great find because of the extra movements.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the Meridian turns out to be salvageable you got lucky alright-- the one I found was the result of nearly a year's worth of looking!

Couldn't quite make out from the pics but did you just hint that it came with an Ektar 203mm? What shutter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    (Whoops, double post)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick, and first things first, Pupfish, Yes it has a Ektar f7.7 203mm in a Graphic name plate, synchro-compur shutter

I am unfamiliar w/ his lens, apparently, its a good thing?
    Last edited by JMC1969; 02-05-2009 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added a question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DBP, I'm not sure what makes it a Anniversary, but maybe so. Like I say I know very little about these. And the one on the left does have a focal plane shutter equip w/ a Kodak Compur shutter and Kodak anastigmat f7.7 203mm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ektar 203mm f7.7 is a legendary optic... as good or better than most anything modern, with a large image circle for shift/tilt/swing moves.

Say, have you noticed yet how that the 45B back also rotates from portrait to landscape?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
    Ektar 203mm f7.7 is a legendary optic... as good or better than most anything modern, with a large image circle for shift/tilt/swing moves.

Say, have you noticed yet how that the 45B back also rotates from portrait to landscape?
    No, I hadn't noticed that yet. It is a true Field camera isn't it? All three were apparently left open on a shelf for a number of years and dusty like crazy. I thought there might be an issue with oxidation, but, I'm not sure that is the case. it seems like it might just be dirty and paint chipping off. They came from an old orthodontist, so outdoor exposure should be minimal.

The Ektar seems to be in good shape, but dusty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to http://www.graflex.org. Lots of information there. Have fun.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mine had 60 years of funk but the naugahyde cleaned up well with just mild solvents like Windex and isopropyl alcohol. Yes, there could be some oxidation. On the Meridian, the case casting is an aluminum/copper alloy, stronger and lighter than aluminum alone. I brightened up the exposed metal case edges with a nylon brush in a Dremel tool but don't expect miracles here. You won't get the same mirror bright shine out of this case casting alloy as the bright shiny clear anodized aluminum parts like the front standard uprights or the block that holds the wire viewfinder hoop. The back is painted cast aluminum that isn't anodized and may have paint chipping off where this is occurring underneath. One such spot was causing a light leak on long time exposures within the film holder gate, until I disassembled the sprung halves, to find the little bump. Light leak disappeared once I smoothed it out.

Meridian synthetic bellows hold up better than most but you won't find a new replacement set off the shelf anywhere. It'll be an expensive custom job to have done if they're shot. To test, get or borrow one of those 3 D cell Maglites. Take off the lensboard and extend the bellows in a darkened room with the flashlight stuck deep inside. You're looking for pinholes so pay attention both to the corners that flex the most near the front and at the attachment to the articulating back standard.

Another light-leak test is to take the whole assembled camera on a tripod set in the sun. Put film in a holder and pull the dark slide for 15 or 20 minutes without taking an actual exposure with the lens. You're just exposing for any light leaks. Hopefully your film turns up blank and unexposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I have cleaned a lot of shutters with isopropyl alcohol and Naptha. Last time I cleaned bellows with the alcohol I questioned myself because I was afraid it would further dry them out. I started a thread about the subject, but it really turned out to be more for after care than cleaning. It's here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...d-bellows.html Some time last week I can across a thread about Agfa/Ansco cameras and there a user posted he uses 50% ammonia, 50% peroxide as a cleaning solution. I think I may give that a try. I'm a little nervous about getting into them, but I have to start somewhere and this weekend will be a good one to do so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin