Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,382   Online: 777

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I started with the easiest one first and cleaned up the middle camera so I could test one out. This is by no means a restoration, just a little TLC so I could fire a couple off. The Lens is a Ilex - Calumet Series - S Caltar no.269 8 ½" (215mm) and the coating is pretty marred up so it is giving a soft look to everything. I'm a bit at a loss though because after looking around at some of the sites I am having trouble identifying this one. It seems to be "Anniversary" but every picture I see has a range finder, view finder and a low rear knob at the back (left side if you are looking @ the front of camera). There are no holes in the leather (it is leather because I removed the front door piece) around the four sides of this camera as though it is missing something. Just the two tripod inserts. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of it after the clean up and one quick shoot I took w/ it last night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

# 2 clean-up

Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    It's been quite some time since I got into 4x5 and punch drunk love is all I can say about it. I've had a great time learning and every outing is something new. I have yet to get really great shots, but certainly some keepers I love. However, today I went out for lunch and when I came back, an old client of ours dropped of a present "for Jody"

I know absolutely nothing about Speed Graphics and I'm already in love. They need some work and I will now be searching Apug for a whole new set of information. 3 for free. I'm giddy.

Jody
    Well, I went deep on the second camera I decided to start cleaning up. The Meridian on the right was probably the one that needed the most work, but I couldn't bring myself to start on the Speed Graphic on left because the focal plane shutter scared me. So, The Meridian got my attention and before I knew it, I was breaking it down for a full overhaul. I took this camera down to the frame piece by piece, wire brushed each part and the heads of screws, then painted all parts that had paint on them. My "New" look to this camera is probably going to get on some peoples nerves, but I wanted to make it my own when I started the project. At one point or another I questioned it, but I was just to far into it to change at that point. Overall, I am happy with it and very proud of myself for doing what I will consider a restoration, even if the leatherette is different. It took a long time to do and a lot of patience I was unaware that I possessed.

I still could use a small bit of help. I seem to be missing a small piece that fits into two small holes at the rear of the bed rails. It is were the actuator arm for the rangefinder should connect to the bed. In the speed graphic it is on a small wheel on the rear bed rails, but on the Meridian the rear rails and front rails are not connected to one another, so the arm comes out of the camera housing to this spot on the front rail. I have found no detailed pictures of this camera on the internet, so if you have one, all help is appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jody, John Simmons aka JUAN on this forum is very knowledgeable on
    Speed Graphics. I have a Crown Graphic & Century Graphic, and rely on
    John's expertize when using those cameras.
    Btw, we have a LF group in the area; and frequently meet for outings. Let
    me know if you want to be included in our email list.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely Doug, I would love to be on the email list. I will shoot you my address in a PM. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jody, your Meridian 45B looks great! Is that naugahyde simulated ostrich or simulated emu (Si-mu?) Did you get the rangefinder coupling issue sorted out?

I found another good read that references the Meridian Camera Co. (It's the obit for Paul Klingenstein):
    http://www.peterlanczak.de/Memory_Pa...ngenstein.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jody, your 45B looks great! Is your naugahyde reupholstering job done with simulated ostrich, or emu (Si-mu?) Every get the rangefinder coupler issue straightened out?
    Here's another good read on the Meridian and it's historical timeline:
    http://www.peterlanczak.de/Memory_Pa...ngenstein.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pupfish- Yes, it is simulated ostrich that I bought from a upholstery shop. Thanks for the compliment. I have not gotten the rangefinder issue solved. I have not yet found a good detailed picture of that area of the camera to see what I am missing. I'll keep looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1st shot

I have been waiting out the rain for quite some time now. I got about 30 mins of sun today at lunch and shot the first thing I could find. After seeing the result, I need to go point this thing at something I really want a photo of. The lens is what Pupfish told me it could be.

Meridian 45B
    Ektar 203mm f7.7 in synchro-compur shutter (I rebuilt this too)
    f45 @ ½ sec
    Kodak Ektachrome 100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man people aren't kidding when they say the Meridian was called the American Linhof. I was unfamiliar with Linhof and never really got around to taking a look. Then I saw this in the classified this morning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another shot from this Meridain 45B

Ektar 203mm f7.7
    Ilford Delta 100
    F45 @ 6mins 30sec
    Clayton F76+ developer 6mins 30 sec
    Imacon scan of negative

Bold City Brewery, Jacksonville, Fl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin