Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,869   Online: 983

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Webb View Post
    My favorite by far for 4x5 portraits is the Fujinon 250 soft focus, you can do anything with it in terms of sharp to very soft and once you get the hang of it, the results are stunning.
    Ditto.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The bulk of the advice here seems to center on the effects of perspective and/or bellows length compatibility.

But the effects of lens length on "style" of portraiture (the process, not the product) are worth considering as well. For some subjects, the more distance between you and the subject, the better; for others, up-close-and-personal is the only thing that works.

To span the range from clinically sharp to dreamily soft with only one optic, the only "modern" lenses seem to be the Imagon and Fujinon SF. It is probably not an accident that for 4x5, they are both 250mm FL. However, my personal experience is that low-key pictures with an Imagon are a good bit harder to make work than those in high or moderately high key.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    To span the range from clinically sharp to dreamily soft with only one optic, the only "modern" lenses seem to be the Imagon and Fujinon SF. It is probably not an accident that for 4x5, they are both 250mm FL. However, my personal experience is that low-key pictures with an Imagon are a good bit harder to make work than those in high or moderately high key.
    There is quite a lot of written material on the Imagon lens (on http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html there are two articles and a brochure). One of the things written is that more direct lightning is prefered to soft lights. I.e. much "tougher" light than what is normal for portraiture.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does anyone have any experience with the longer Xenars for portraits? 180mm, 210mm, and 250mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darin, a Xenar is Schneider's
    version of the Zeiss Tessar.
    It is a common lens design --
    the Kodak Commercial Ektars,
    for example, are Tessars.
    They will be sharp and full
    of contrast and generally
    well-mannered.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is quite a lot of written material on the Imagon lens (on http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html there are two articles and a brochure). One of the things written is that more direct lightning is prefered to soft lights. I.e. much "tougher" light than what is normal for portraiture.

Very true, although this becomes less important as the effective aperture is reduced and the image becomes, overall, sharper. The need for harder light might be an argument against an Imagon as a "first" portrait lens, particularly if one is planning to use electronic flash. Flash spotlights do exist, but they are less common, more expensive, and harder to improvise than softboxes.

Another issue is that because of scatter, the effective contrast of the film is lower when the image is very diffused, and this may need to be compensated in development.

For all that, they do make lovely portraits, if you happen to like the soft-focus genre and if it suits your subject.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, folks, I may have had a partial solution, or at least another option, dropped into my lap, as I've detailed in this subsequent APUG thread.

To summarize, I've discovered that the old beat-up 8x10 view camera given me by my father-in-law some years ago as a decorative piece contains a Goerz Dogmar 10-3/4" lens in a Goerz Compound shutter. They are presently at SK Grimes for CLA, and to investigate the feasibility either of mounting the lens in a modern shutter that will fit a Linhof-style board; or of mounting shutter+lens on such a board, if the shutter can be restored to full function.

Needless to say, I'm excited about the prospect---I'll keep everyone apprised over on the linked thread.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    My favourite FL is about 10". I have an (uncoated) 10"/6.3 Conley Anastigmat Ser.V (Alphax shutter).....same as Wolly Ser. I, I think. Benefits from a good matte box and the round aperture makes for great OOF rendering, can sometimes be too sharp for some portrait situations though at small apertures and therefore gets used wide open to f8 a lot. I also like the 4x5 Wolly Teles 10"/4.5 (I only have the 15"/5.6 version though, for 5x7). Have you tried your 210mm though?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using a 360 for a series I'm working on right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SLADE_jake_with_cake_beard.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    Mr. Cardwell as always is the voice of
    reason here. For once, though, I would
    disagree with him only in his opinion
    that 300 is too long. I use a 12-inch
    Commercial Ektar on my Sinar Norma
    for most of my work in 4x5 and 5x7
    and I find it to be the ideal length for
    my purposes. I'm attaching a close
    headshot with the 12-inch CE on 4x5
    for reference.
    Thanks for showing the head shot with 4x5 and 12" lens. I wasn't sure if I was going to purchase a 300mm for closeup head and shoulder shots. I was happy with your results.

Claude

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin