Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,035   Online: 878

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Favorite 4x5" "portrait" lens?

I'm getting back up to speed after a long hiatus with 4x5. Looking forward to it, as I have a portrait project I'm eager to try in LF. I have a Sinar F with 90, 150, and 210 lenses.

I'll be shooting head-and-shoulders or tighter head shots, and I'm wondering if my 210 is going to do the job. Since I have nothing longer, I can't really experiment to see how it would look. I'd like to be able to throw the backgrounds well out of focus, but still be able to stop down enough to have workable DOF. I like the perspective of longer lenses; for instance, my favorite portrait lens for 6x4.5 format is the 140, so taking a 150 as "normal" for the 4x5, and the 80 as normal for 6x4.5, this would suggest roughly a 250 or longer lens. I realize that simply applying ratios is not the whole story, however.

What does everyone here think? What is your favorite "portrait" lens for 4x5 work like this? Thanks in advance, everyone!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    240mm f:4.5 Heliar. Mine is uncoated, in a sunk barrel mount, and just barely fits on a Speed Graphic board.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either the 9" verito

or 360mm fujinon

Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Have an old 8 1/4" Dagor on my Speed Graphic.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers...raiture.html#5
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10" Commercial Ektar.

The difference between a 250 and 210 makes a difference,
    210 is just too short. 300 is too long.

My vote is for a 240mm-250mm lens. As df cardwell said in his post, it makes a difference over a 210mm. 210mm is a great general-purpose lens, good for a lot of tabletop and scenic work, but it's a bit flavorless for portraiture. 240 to 250 adds to your ability to soften the background and center attention on facial features. Longer focal lengths can work, but the camera-to-subject distance gets pretty long and depth-of-field becomes an issue. Yes, you can stop down, but exposures get longer or require more light from flash units. Rent or borrow a 240 or 250 for a test.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since you already own the 210 I would just use it. I love the 210 on 4x5 and have done all kinds of portraits with it from putting it on an 8x10 and cropping right into a face or backing off and doing whole bodies on 4x5. it is great for waist up shots. You don't need to buy another lens. I did put a 300 on the 4x5 once and shot a bunch of portraits of a couple of people and found myself to far away during the shooting. I felt a distance with my subject rather than a closeness. I think it is better to be comfortably close to someone when photographing them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mike, I used a 240mm lens stopped down to f/8 for the head shots you and I discussed yesterday.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 02-09-2009 at 09:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong information
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike I am using a couple of old petzval lenses for the occasional portrait.... Anything from 5" to 8" should suffice depending on ho wmuch vignetting you want. These pics were all done with an old B&L 4.75" modified petzval. Coverage is minimal on 4x5 and cropping square gives interesting results. All of these were shot WIDE open @ F2.5!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brian Evie Daisypug.jpg   Ike Print.jpg   Thomas Print.jpg  
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    21cm tessar or a 10" veritar ( for 4x5 at least )
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin