Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,594   Online: 1094

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are rear elements interchangeable on these lenses?

A little more help please. Not too long ago I posted a question about using only the front element of a Calumet Caltar-S II 8 1/4" (210mm) F5.6 because the rear element has a bad chip out of it.

Link:http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/5...-i-expect.html

Recently, I started another thread because I was given three cameras, 2 Speed Graphics and a Meridian. The one I have cleaned up has a Ilex-Calumet Series-S Caltar NO.269 8 1/2" (215mm) F5.6. If you check the last page of the link below, you will see it is very soft due to (I believe) major cleaning marks/scratches in the coating (glass doesn't actually seem to be scratched).

Link:http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/5...wer-hobby.html

So I am wondering if these two lenses are close enough to make one really nice lens. The front element of the 210mm is without a mark and the rear of the 215mm is pristine. As they are made by the same company (though I assume many years apart), both F5.6, both Caltar w/ an "S" (possibly meaning symmetrical). Would it be the front element that has the 5mm difference in it and leaving the rear element equal?

Thank You,
    Jody

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As I said before: give it a try if it fits properly together...

You could allso have a second look at the Caltar if it can not be cleaned better.

With symetrical lenses it is common that the front and rear parts have diferent sizes, don't worry.

Good luck,
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Caltar S-II was made by Schneider. The Ilex-Caltar was made by Ilex. Two different lenses and companies. Calumet contracted with various companies at different times to supply lenses under the Caltar brand name, which is Calumet's store brand.

Whether or not it will work is another question.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin