Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

75mm f/5,6 Schneider SA

i did a search here and on Google but didn't get much info on it.
    Any one used the Schneider 75mm f/5,6 Super Angulon?
    How do you like it?
    Any links to reviews?
    What did I just buy?
    I understand Ill need a recessed lensboard for my Sinar Norma and it may cause trouble trying to use it with the 5X7 to 4X5 reduction back. comments on that?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Super-Angulon 65mm 5.6 on my Norma without a recessed lensboard, so a 75 shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the reduction back, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work OK (I could be wrong of course).

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Trond
    The reduction backs moves the filmplane backwards quite a bit so it may cause a problem.
    Then lens is mounted on a linhoff board so ill need to move it then Ill see.
    Are there such thing as Linhoff to Sinar boards?
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, check out 350140071862 on eBay.

Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I didn't see the 75 on Ebay.
    I have used this lens for the past 30 years as my standard lens, that should tell you a lot.
    Great for architecture and landscapes.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Peter and Trond
    Hmm can't wait to get it. gotta get a proper lensboard for it.
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used this lens on my Horseman LE. I have it on a flat lensboard, where it requires the bag bellows. The light falloff is significant enough that it really should have a center filter. Other than that, it's plenty sharp, and reasonably bright for focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What size is the shutter? how big a hole does it require?
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have one of those lenses. It fits in a Copal 0 shutter.

I am very pleased with the sharpness and tonality. Its a very nice piece of glass and an important part of my repertoire. The negs always appear strikingly sharp in the loupe.

In use, the lens represents more of a challenge than my 90mm. The 75 needs to be very close to the gg, and won't allow any movement with many cameras. When its on my Arca Swiss monorail, there are no movements even with a bag bellows. For that camera it needs both the bag bellows and then a recessed board as well. On my field camera it works the normal bellows just fine.

Another thing to consider is all of the scenery that gets pulled in to the picture. Its pretty hard to have this lens pointed anywhere near the direction of the sun and not get some flaring, or highlight runout, if you will. So in use one needs to beware of the hot spots.

There are definitely shots, though, that I wouldn't have been able to get without that lens. The near-far compositions are way more dramatic with a 75 than a 90, even though its only 15mm difference. Also wide landscapes with dramatic skies. Not everyone's cup of tea, but this lens will get em for ya.

JY

Shooter
    Large Format
    Soeren, I will add my voice to the chorus of approval for this lens. My example is bitingly sharp, particularly for 6x9 which I use it most for, but also for 5x4. It will not cover 5x7. Manufacturer's data can be found here http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/.../5.6-75mm.html. It may be the sharpest 75 mm LF lens that Schneider has ever made—see Klayman's reply here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=0032dq. Over my desk at work is a 20x24 inch print from a drum-scanned tranny made using this lens, and it is a good illustration of its qualities. However, I used quite a lot of front shift, which required the use of a centre filter. Depending on the sort of work you do, you may need one. They are not cheap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin