Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,428   Online: 1151

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Super Graphic and 90mm lens?

Hi all,

I'm contemplating hunting up a Super Graphic at some point this year, and was wondering whether anyone knows if I'd be able to use a 90mm lens on it without having to drop the bed? If so, does that apply to verticals as well?

Thanks!
    John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Different 90mm lenses focus at somewhat different points on the bed. A 90mm Optar or Standard Angulon will probably show the bed if you rotate for a vertical. A Super-Angulon (type) sits out a bit further and might work. When I used my 90mm Optar on my Super Graphic for a vertical it showed the bed. My 90mm Super Angulon does not (to my recollection). But dropping the bed is no big deal. Some wide-angle designs are more "retro-focus" than other designs. I can use my 75mm Komura for horizontals without dropping the bed. You will just have to test your particular lens. It also depends on how much rise you are using.

No 90mm will show the bed on a horizontal shot. 90mm were kinda alternate standard lenses for the Crown Graphic and Super Graphic, and handheld you don't need to rotate the back, just rotate the camera. On a tripod, a different story.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Great, thanks for the information. My current 90mm lens is a 90mm Angulon f/6.8; I'm not really sure how it stacks up as far as it's back-focus distance... but this is more than good enough to get me started.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I Want To Recommend Getting A Nikon 90 mm f 8.0

One issue with 90 mm lenses, is that most modern lenses require a center filter, to get the correct exposure, across the frame. One that doesn't, which was my pick, is the Nikon 90 mm f 8.0. The f 5.6, is too big, too heavy & has too much lens in the rear, for a box camera. When you examine how many elements / groups each 90 mm, ( slow ), lens has, you see, that the Nikon, has 1 - 2 more elements.

The 6.8, would fit into the slow category. That is the basic design of the slow lenses, is one where, almost all of the lens elements are in front of the lens board. The faster lenses are symmetrical designs, where there are an equal # of lens groups behind the lens mount as there are in front.

There is no room for this design in a Graphic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. Space for the lens is definitely not a problem with the tiny 90mm Angulon. I have a Super Graphic now, but haven't taken it out for a whirl with the 90mm lens yet as I need to fix an issue with its rangefinder. Fortunately, I was able to get a 90mm cam for the Super as well as the 135mm cam it came with. It'll be fun to take that setup for a spin...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I recall, I did not have any problem with my SA on my Super Graphic. Though I did not rotate the back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    As I recall, I did not have any problem with my SA on my Super Graphic. Though I did not rotate the back.

No, you wouldn't with a "Super", however with the older Angulon, or Optar 90mm, the lenses sit further back on the rail at infinity focus, and you would have a problem if you decided to do verticals by using the rotating back.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    One that doesn't, which was my pick, is the Nikon 90 mm f 8.0.

the basic design of the slow lenses, is one where, almost all of the lens elements are in front of the lens board. The faster lenses are symmetrical designs, where there are an equal # of lens groups behind the lens mount as there are in front.
    If the attached data sheet is to be believed, the Nikkor-SW 90mm f8 is symmetrical. The lens does fit into a Speed/Crown graphic, but, of course, you aren't going to close it up with the lens board in place.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 64cb_3.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin