Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,027   Online: 1045

Shooter
    35mm RF

How to load "Rada" roll film back?

I recently bought a Certotrop (Certo bee bee) with a Rada roll film back.
    The back is fitted with masks for 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x9. These masks are fixed and non removable.

I'm having a lot of trouble loading film.
    The smallest format being easiest and the 6x9 is possible, but the film is so tight that it is ripped and torn.

Any tips or hints for easy loading?

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1235079381
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rada-back.jpg  

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose there should be only one (or none) mask installed. Try to remove them and the film should have more space.
    If you search for "rada" on german ebay you can find some pictures; maybe this helps.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Rada is quite smooth in operation. Are you first removing the inner film-holding frame from the outer casing? You need to pull out on the winding knob while turning so that the inner frame can be lifted free. Then load the film, bring the leader underneath and insert in the take-up spool. Then place the inner frame back in the housing, engage the winder, and close up the case. Then, insert the dark slide if you will be using the Rada with a ground glass. If properly loaded, you will see the paper backing and markings through the ruby windows. For the 6x9 format you use only the odd numbered frames from 1 to 15 in the right window.

There is an image of the Rada opened up for loading on my web site page about the Recomar 18 -
    http://mconnealy.com/vintagecameras/...r18/index.html

All of the above assumes that your Rada is the same as the one I have. I'm not sure if there were major differences in ones fitted to different cameras.
    Last edited by connealy; 02-20-2009 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by connealy View Post
    There is an image of the Rada opened up for loading on my web site page about the Recomar 18 -
    http://mconnealy.com/vintagecameras/...r18/index.html
    Hey, another Recomar/Fornidar user! Nice camera. :-)

Anyway, that picture shows workings identical to the Rada I've got, which in turn looks just like the one in the original post, except for no masks. I went through the user's manual, in hopes that it would say "If you have the model with the built-in masks...", but there was nothing of the kind---there are instructions for shooting different formats, but they apparently assume you have a drop-in mask.

Is there any chance they aren't really built in but just wedged?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the info. I finally got it sorted out, it is like connealy says.

The wind knob and masks were all gummed up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin