Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,084   Online: 761

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any experience w/ 15" ILEX Paragon as camera lens?

I was looking at purchasing a 15" ILEX Paragon F9 process lens, but my thought was to make this into a lens for my Toyo 4x5. Am I wasting time and money doing so? I found quite a bit about other sizes but not the 15" and wondering which shutter it may fit in. My guess is a ILEX #3, which I would need to come up with. Are there other shutters this will fit in that may be easier to put my hands on?

It's not listed in Kerry Thalmann's test sheet, nor Michael K. Davis sheets. I also just checked S.K.Grimes with no luck.

Thanks,
    Jody

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Many "process" lenses are too big for any shutter, and are used with behind-the-lens packard-type shutters. I would doubt that it would be a direct fit in any shutter without machine work. But that is just an "overview" and I have no specific knowledge of your particular lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    I was looking at purchasing a 15" ILEX Paragon F9 process lens, but my thought was to make this into a lens for my Toyo 4x5. Am I wasting time and money doing so? I found quite a bit about other sizes but not the 15" and wondering which shutter it may fit in. My guess is a ILEX #3, which I would need to come up with. Are there other shutters this will fit in that may be easier to put my hands on?

It's not listed in Kerry Thalmann's test sheet, nor Michael K. Davis sheets. I also just checked S.K.Grimes with no luck.

Thanks,
    Jody
    I have this lens in a barrel. I love it!!! I use it on my 8x20,11x14 and 8x10! It covers them all at infinity. It is a small lens and it is sharp and contrasty. I decided to make it a standard lens for my 11x14 kit. I have some decent movement on my 11x14.
    I shoot slow film so I never even looked into a shutter. If you can pick one of these little gem's up you will not be disappointed.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim that's remarkable coverage. I found on in nice shape at my dealer a month ago. It was stuck back in a box but in clean shape. I think the price on it was $25. I might have to pick it up and front mount it on a spare copal three that I have. With that kind of coverage and price I can't go wrong.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Jim that's remarkable coverage. I found on in nice shape at my dealer a month ago. It was stuck back in a box but in clean shape. I think the price on it was $25. I might have to pick it up and front mount it on a spare copal three that I have. With that kind of coverage and price I can't go wrong.
    Don, this is one of those "sleeper" lenses. I have used mine on all three formats and it is a great little lens. If I had a bigger scanner I'd post the nice 11x14 carbon transfer image I shot with this lens. Very nice purple/blue coating and gives a nice sharp image. $25.00 is a steal!!
    The camera in my avitar is where it resides now.

JIm
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 02-22-2009 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid a little over $100 for mine, but I've never had a reason to feel cheated. In fact, if I have a complaint, it's that the lens is too sharp for most of the work I do (blurry, funky stuff.) It certainly covers 8x10 with any movement I can throw at it. No shutter I've found fits it, but ask the experts. I use it with an old hat or a Packard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to see a 15", I have an Ilex Paragon f4.5 10" and it has the largest mounting ring of any lens I have or have seen. The glass is very large, I've yet to use it.

I would use the 15" with the cap or hat technique too. It sounds like you got great deal there.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I would like to see a 15", I have an Ilex Paragon f4.5 10" and it has the largest mounting ring of any lens I have or have seen. The glass is very large, I've yet to use it.

I would use the 15" with the cap or hat technique too. It sounds like you got great deal there.
    Curt, these lenses are a steal. I paid $50.00 for mine and I would have gladly paid 3 times that much or more. To give you an idea of the size mine is 55mm in diameter and about 77mm long. Mine is mounted on my 6x6 board and weights about 20 ounces. Not bad for a lens that covers 11x14 and 8x20. My front mounted Packard fits nicely on the front.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have one that I bought at a camera fair. The dealer had no idea what he was selling and I had no idea what I was buying but at 15 ukp it was worth a chance. It's a wonderful little lens, I couldn't believe that it covered 11x14. I have a Copal 3 shutter and the male screw thread at the rear of the shutter is 62mm so I bought a step up ring with a female 62 mm thread so that the rear of the shutter would screw onto the front of the step up ring and Super Glued the ring to the front of lens. All I have to do now is screw the shutter to the front of the lens when I want to use it. I've used this method of lens mounting on an unknown brass magic lantern lens and other process lenses such as Repromasters and Eskofots.
    Best wishes,
    Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Curt, these lenses are a steal. I paid $50.00 for mine and I would have gladly paid 3 times that much or more. To give you an idea of the size mine is 55mm in diameter and about 77mm long. Mine is mounted on my 6x6 board and weights about 20 ounces. Not bad for a lens that covers 11x14 and 8x20. My front mounted Packard fits nicely on the front.

Jim
    Jim I had to wait a few years but I bought one. It will great on my 11x14. $66.00.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin