Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,411   Online: 1151

Thread: Darkcloth Size

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Darkcloth Size

I was hoping to make my own darkcloth for my 4x5 camera and was wondering what the proper size would be to make it. Is using something like a dark felt from Joann's or wherever else acceptable?

Thanks,
    -Nate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever size you make it, I wouldn't make it dark felt or you'll burst into flame during the summer months. I use a Blackjacket now, which is like a shirt with sleeves for the arms, so maybe someone else will hold forth re proper size.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    4x4 foot minimum. White on one side, black on the other, with velcro edges. A light, canvasy material may be appreciated, though you actually want the thing to have some weight because it can become a sail in a breeze... you might think of sewing some little weights onto the four corners.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XL Tee shirt, black, from the Goodwill store. A buck and a half. Neck goes over the camera, my head goes in the bottom, my arms go in the sleeves.

I have no professional image to maintain, and it works well.

tim (tee shirt) in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    & I use that thin curtain backing material, black one side, white the other... $10 metre here, mine is 1 metre square ... then I stuck 2 small pieces of Velcro on 2 corners for those windy days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a tubular dark cloth from Lotus View Camera. Silver on the outside and black inside. My only criticism is that it is a little light and flaps about in the wind. However as it is secured to the rear standard by an elasiticated collar I suspect it is not as bad as an unweighted unattached cloth. Whatever material you use I would agree that sewing in weights is a good idea.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a Medium Size Harrison Dark Cloth - http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=670

The silver outer face reflects heat from the sun but even so gets quite warm in there after a while

Its also waterproof - so use it as a rain cover for the Camera when its set up on the Tripod

There is no right size of Dark Cloth - they need to be big to shut out enough light but small so they don't act as a sail in the wind (I have learned to keep one hand on my Tripod at all times when the dark Cloth is on the Camera)

Have fun

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin