Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,723   Online: 988

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Trying to identify these cameras.

I am trying to help a friend to identify two cameras. They both have bellows, and this is the information that I found printed on them:

1. Orionwerk AKT.GES. Hannoer
    2. Vorderlinse D.R.G.M.

there were two lenses that may or may not go to these cameras, the info was:

1. IBSOR D.R.P. 13.5 cm No. 159560 Steinheil Munchen Doppelanastigmat unofocal 1.6.8F
    2. Vario Doppel Ahastlgmat 1.6.3 F-13.5cm Laack Rathenow 133859

On the lenses, I have found that Steinheil, and Laack are the makers.
    On the cameras,

any information would be greatly appreciated.. or even where to look!
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Orion Werk 9x12 camera, it's one of many small German camera companies it was founded in 1893 and went bancrupt in 1933. It changed its name a few times,

The Ibsor shutter is the precursor of the Prontor, it's self cocking and an excellent shutter, Steinheil were a well known optical company.

Laack, based in Rathenow, were a German manufacturer of cameras and lenses,, the Vario shutter is the budget 3 speed shuttermade by the same company as the Ibsor, Alfred Gauthier based in Calmbach, there usualy a 3 blade shutter symbol woth AGC on all their shutters.

Both cameras are most likely 9x12 format, as the standard lenses are almost always 135mm or 150mm, the Orion Werks range were fitted with a variety of lenses, mine has a Rodenstock Eurynar f4.5 135mm in an Ibsor shutter which would have been one of the best lenses then available, in comparison the f6.8 Steiheil would have been a budget lens.

The other lens in the Vario shutter would have been the cheapest lens/shutter option, and often the camera's also lacked the front rise & fall.

Hope that helps, welcome to APUG BTW

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-24-2009 at 03:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the info. How would I go about giving them an estimated value? I am thinking they would like to sell them.

Also, they have a huge contraption that has a large bellows to it also, which adjusts back and forth.. but it is huge. It plugs in, has a lamp and a fan. there are two lenses with it, and the base adjusts for up and down angles.

It also has a base that a pole sticks in, and a huge light.. A friend told me that it might be from a professional photographer, and that the pole perhaps held the umbrella thing to reflect the light.

It also has a case that the camera part fits into.. quite a bit bigger than a sewing machine case.

Hopefully next week I can get a picture of these things lol!! This has to be quite confusing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Value is difficult, very few 9x12 cameras fetch high prices, and these tend to be the cream at the top, usually from Zeiss, Voightlander & Nagel, with the leading lenses of that period.

The reality is that most 9x12 cameras of the type we are talking about, like the Orion Werks, can be bough for around $25-$60 depending on condition, type of lens/shutter fitted etc, although you do see them on Ebay for more. It's so dependent on the condition and whether the camera has plate holders etc.

Sometimes sellers get a far higher price by removing the lens & selling it separately, I've seen pre-War 135mm &150mm f4.5 Tessar's & Eurynar's fetch far more than a complete 9x12 camera.

Post some images next week.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you so much Ian, you are very helpful! I will post my pics as soon as I can!
    Teri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The name of the city must be "Hannover"!
    Akt.Ges=Aktiengesellschaft (Would be a "corporation" in the US)
    D.R.G.M (Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster) and D.R.P (Deutsches Reichspatent) are shortforms for patents in the time before 1945,
    but as Ian had already mentioned the Orion Factory only existed until 1933.
    Greetz, Benjamin

PS: I can´t wait to see the images of that strange thing you mentioned in your 2nd post!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Lumière Anastigmat SPECTOR 4.5/135mm in an Ibsor, on an unknown 9x12 plate camera!
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually, it is a Lumière Krita (around 1930).
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin