Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,700   Online: 1219

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used 8x10 cameras like the Burke and James, older Korona's and the like are around for about $300. You can also sometimes pick up old graphic arts lenses (no shutter, use a hat or lens cap) for under $100. It depends on what you want to do. I started with a cheap 4x5 and progressed up.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Curious, where will you be moving to and what are the picture potentials? I just bought an old Graphic View because I wanted the Ektar lens. I'll be re-selling it OTC (on the cheap) with an Ilex replacement. 4X5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I could just kick myself in the butt. I used to have a westen 4x5 in cherry years ago and sold it for nothing something like 50 bucks with 10 fikm holders cloth and two focusing glasses all packed in a nice hard case. Oh well. I am looking into everyones ideas and if anyone has MORE let me know
    The only thing that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I picked up a Toko (that's right Toko not Toyo) wooden field camera real cheap at a local camera store. The lenses I mainly bought on eBay, again really cheap. I would think a good beginning kit should cost you around $500-$750usd. You could get away with old Graphics etc. but you will end up buying something better sooner or latter and then that money would have been wasted.

Contact Greywolf, I believe he still has a PrinzDorf 4x5 for sale relatively cheap. He's a good guy and I've seen the camera. It's in good shape.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

jimgalli to answer your question about moving. We have two locations which we are thinking and praying about. The first is the upper Rim of the Grand Canyon Az and the other place is the western part of the state of Wash. So either place is full of great photo op's.

PP
    The only thing that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    There is no size to fredonia. Just abandoned buildings.

Photog--In the park would be great. Jakes Lake two. I lived for two months on the south rim before I owned a camera. the North is much prettier.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

If this is a repeat I apologize but I could not find my earlier post

If you are thinking of moving up to largef ormat here are some resources

We have a free article called Getting Statrted in Large Format on our web site. There are several other articles as well. On the home page go to the free articles section

www.viewcamera.com

Here are some book possibilities

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack DyKinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto

all of these should be available from Amazon.com

We are also doing a conference on large format photography April 23-25, 2004 in Monterey, CA.

steve simmons
    viewcamera magazine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin