Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,576   Online: 1211

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am moving to an area that is a large formats shooters dream as far as I think others may think other wise. But I don't have 1000's of dollars to get restarted in this endiver but want a few basic things like cameras, darkroom basic's (contact printer etc.). I have 2 1/4 35mm and a broken digital. What am I looking at? are there decient 4x5 8x10's out there cheap? I don't mind refinishing wood or metal.
    I am a pastor of a very small church so I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend right now. I do mainly B&W out door shots still to this day (been shooting for 43 years). So any ideas or help would make my day.

Pastor Paul
    photog@hush.ai
    The only thing that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!

There's a ton of second hand LF gear around, and plenty of it is cheap. What's your realistic budget? Given that you've got MF already, do you have a decent tripod?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get started for around $500 with a Speed Graphic, older (heavy) monorail, or one of the more basic woodfields, and a normal lens. You can process film in trays, which you probably already have if you do your own darkroom work. You'll need a light meter (but you can use the meter in your 35mm camera for now), a darkcloth, and a tripod (a Tiltall or something of similar character will support most 4x5" field cameras, maybe something a little heavier for a bigger monorail). If you make contact prints for now, all you need is a clean sheet of glass and a slab of foam rubber. Later on, if you need an enlarger, you can find something like an Omega D2 for a few hundred dollars. Darkroom equipment is cheap these days.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graphic View cameras frequently sell with a lens on ebay for less than $200. They are reasonably light weight metal cameras on a short, sturdy monorail, so there's not much to go wrong with them. Just be sure it comes with the tripod head/mount - it's specific to these cameras. Photos and information are on graflex.org.
    j

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want to go with 8x10 contact printing (hence, no enlarger required), you can get a Deardorff or Kodak Masterview and lens for $1500 or less. If that's above your budget, a camera such as the Ansco/agfa, Calumet, or several others will get you in at less than $1000.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just picked up an excellent Speed Graphic with three 4x5 film holders, case, and 6x9 Roll film back for $200US. If you look long enough the deals are there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I just bought a polaroid back for my Crown Graphic. I'm trying to shoot more 4x5 myself.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the Dark Slide, Pastor Paul!

---Sorry, couldn't help myself
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Have you looked into pinhole work? Very nice work is done with them and they are very inexpensive. Look at the pinhole forum here.
    james

Pastor, I own the less expensive Shen Hao 4x5 wooden view, field camera.
    I have been using it for the last 6 months, purchased used for $295.00, it was like new. It has saved me about 15 pounds of weight, is easy to use and has all the movements I need for field and studio use.
    I believe Badger Graphics sells these new in the US. Saw the step up model on Ebay about a month ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin