Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 842

Finland (no, that's not where the polar bears live)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodenstock Sironar 150mm (older model)

Hello!

I have a change to purchase 150mm/f5.6 rodenstock sironar lens at very low price. I could not find any information regarding the older model. This is "plain" sironar without the S or N. I think this lens is made in 1977-78.

What is the image circle for this lens? Should I buy the lens, or should I invest a little more for -S model?

Help would be appreciated!

--
    Regards,
    Timo Leppiniemi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The image circle should be plenty for 4x5 inch.
    I have one, I believe, and it is a good lens, use it in architecture verry little.
    Check the coating, otherwise you will have a flare issue. Never had problems with mine though.
    Is it on ebay ?

The later ones have better coatings (and are less prone to flare).
    It depends a bit on what you can spend.......

Peter

Finland (no, that's not where the polar bears live)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the lens is uncoated? At least it's not multicoated...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sironar_150mm_1.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Timo - you can find out how old your lens is be looking at the serial number and comparing it to this list - http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/agevs.htm

I have asked similar questions recently and the synopsis is - If the Len looks clean (no dents on the lens body/scratches on the optics/cloudiness looking through the lens) and the shutter is good then any post 1970 lens will out perform your expectations by some considerable margin.

If it’s a nice lens for a good price you could buy it and in the future trade it in if you ever felt the need for a newer/new one

Good luck

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Could not agree more with you, Martin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of those too. It's a good lens, single coated (mine's c1968), plenty of coverage for 5x4, sharp, though it's beginning to develop a balsam fault. Your's looks very clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought mine in 1972. I worked for a small camera store in Nashville so I bought it on the "camera store employee plan" which means I got it for 1/2 the list price from the importer, Berkey Marketing. In the early 80's the front element started separating so I sent it Berkey who sent it back to Rodenstock in Germany who repaired it at no charge. It is one of my favorite lenses. The newer ones are a tiny little bit sharper as Rodenstock tweaked the formula a little and the multicoating is a big plus for color work. You should be happy with either.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The many of the plain ordinary sironars of this time frame had lens separation issues. Rodenstock had not perfected the new synthetic adhesives at that time. I have had 3 of mine from this time frame separate. There may be a reason the lens is cheap.

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As the Rodenstock 150mm experts have emerged: Any opinions of the 150 mm f9 Apo Ronar? Mine came with a Wista, I haven't used it a lot (preferring 210 and 105 mm). The small size is useful, allowing it to stay on the camera when folded. I'd be interested in opinions of its quality.

Thanks - Ross

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin