Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,497   Online: 990

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Glib comment? I think not. The question was in reference to using a Speed Graphic and a Schneider f/4.7 lens. At no time was it asked if such a lens would work for an assignment for Architectural Digest magazine. You state yourself that you used a '60's era Xenar F/4.5 commercially for years with no problems, "optically".

Speed or Crown Graphics with Schneider, Wollensak or Optar lenses have photographed some iconic images. The Hindenburg disaster, the flag at Mount Suribachi and Babe Ruth's last home run.

Here in Virginia is a huge museum of train photography by O. Winston Link. Mr. Link used Graflex view camera's with Optar lenses. Edward Weston used a crapped out $5 lens for many of his most famous photographs. St. Ansel often used convertible lenses that are much maligned by the "modern photographer". (exception Cooke and only because Adams used it)

Not too many posters here on APUG have a museum that takes up an entire railroad freight house. Or have a place in photographic history for their images.

No, I'll stick with my comment about lens snobs.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format

EW lens

I always heard EW's lens cost $12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Glib comment? I think not. The question was in reference to using a Speed Graphic and a Schneider f/4.7 lens. At no time was it asked if such a lens would work for an assignment for Architectural Digest magazine. You state yourself that you used a '60's era Xenar F/4.5 commercially for years with no problems, "optically".

Speed or Crown Graphics with Schneider, Wollensak or Optar lenses have photographed some iconic images. The Hindenburg disaster, the flag at Mount Suribachi and Babe Ruth's last home run.

Here in Virginia is a huge museum of train photography by O. Winston Link. Mr. Link used Graflex view camera's with Optar lenses. Edward Weston used a crapped out $5 lens for many of his most famous photographs. St. Ansel often used convertible lenses that are much maligned by the "modern photographer". (exception Cooke and only because Adams used it)

Not too many posters here on APUG have a museum that takes up an entire railroad freight house. Or have a place in photographic history for their images.

No, I'll stick with my comment about lens snobs.
    Show me one with the equipment listed. EW shot a lot of his famous early work with an 3x4rb graflex using standard Kodak 152mm lens.

As I can attest, that ain't no crapped out lens.

Personally, if I could afford a 450 Nikor M in shutter, or a Fuji SW with EBC coatings in a Sieko shutter, or APO European anything, that's what I would shoot. In the mean time I make do with my commercial Ektars, Raptars, Tessars, and my trusty Fuji 150 6.3. I'm a wannabe snob

tim in very north Carmel Valley California AKA san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Show me one with the equipment listed. EW shot a lot of his famous early work with an 3x4rb graflex using standard Kodak 152mm lens.

As I can attest, that ain't no crapped out lens.
    As I recall from EW's "Daybooks", he had a Zeiss Anastigmat for his 8x10" which was constantly in and out of hock. To cover the lensless periods, EW bought an old RR lens from a junkshop for $5. He used this for, among other things, his most famous pepper shots. He used the 3x4 Graflex for less formal portrait shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin