Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,267   Online: 725

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

4x5 Slide film vs Neg Film

If I'm going to shoot color 4x5, is negative film even worth it, or should I just go whole hog and shoot Ektachrome of one of the Fujichromes? I have processed 35mm and 120 films in C41, but never 4x5 in either slide or neg film.

So, when taking into account the learning curve of E6 development, is it still worth it to shoot slide film? Does Neg. film suck, or is halfway decent at a big enough cut?

*edit* Also take into account base color balancing issues when scanning negative film
    Last edited by EASmithV; 03-03-2009 at 06:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are going to be scanning I recommend chrome. What application do you have in mind for your photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't actually have one, I usually just do a scan and fool with the color balance in photoshop until it looks about right... :-/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Scanning is not an exact science. But I was asking more about portraiture, architecture, landscape, etc. There are many threads in the archives that discuss the benefits of slide v. negative, so give a look there for further information. I'm not quite sure when switching to 4x5 format should change your choice between color negative and slide when you've used color negative often in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGainer View Post
    If you are going to be scanning I recommend chrome.
    Would you still recommend it if I had to cross process, scan, and invert? I guess I could adjust the color changes resulting from the xpro.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Would you still recommend it if I had to cross process, scan, and invert? I guess I could adjust the color changes resulting from the xpro.
    If you are looking for information on a hybrid/digital output I would recommend posting on hybridphoto.com for a complete discussion of the options available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    K thx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The nice thing about a sheet of slide film is that it is just gorgeous to look at. That alone would swing it for me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the past I've nearly always shot E6 LF but now I'm contemplating shooting C41 because I have greater control at the printing stage, as I do my own RA-4 prints. There is something wonderful about looking at a 5x4 Transparency though.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot landscapes in Australia and because of the extreme contrast which is so common in the lighting here, I work with negatives - Portra 160VC. I am more often able to control the contrast down to a printable level in the printing stages (although I use a hybrid workflow). but if you are happy with your subject matter and transparency in 35mm then you probably will also be satisfied in 5x4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin