Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,165   Online: 986

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF Lens dilemma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Softie View Post
    .............When you remove the front cell of your lens, you essentially throw the nodal point some distance in front of the front standard, and you need extra bellows extension to get to infinity. For your 305mm converted lens, it might be 350mm--maybe 400mm--depends on the lens. In use, it's like you have the reverse of a telephoto design: you need more bellows extension to use it rather than less.
    That clears things up nicely. I can only assume that I can't use the lens as a 305 on this camera.

Thanks for that.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Softie - I was busy eating dinner.

Just to clarify one little thing: The nodal point ends up a long way behind the front standard, which is why you need the extra extension to bring the nodal point to 305mm.

My longest camera has 85cm of bellows, just enough to focus a converted 360/620 mm Symmar at a little bit closer than infinity.

The 180/315mm Symmar needs 380mm extenstion to focus at infinity.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you to all who responded for their sage advice. I intend to empoly a bit of patience and get to know these lenses much better before splashing out, possibly needslessly, on replacement lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin