Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,617   Online: 973

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    If you want something similar to the Ebony SW then the Walker Titan XL is a very good choice, I've ordered one any I'm awaiting its arrival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have to agree with Phototone. Only don't get a Crown Graphic, get a Speed Graphic. It is a little bigger, and a little heavier, but it also give you more creativity because the Speed Graphic has a Focal Plane shutter, thus giving you many more lens options. All of the graphics were (and are) still very rugged. If you want to get cool effects with movements, prepare to get a some big lens like a f1.4 movie theater lens, because you need something big to really get dramatic effects if you are going for the "toyland" look. And of course, you can put a roll film back on.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For lightweight portability you should consider the Tachahara. It doesn't shift but it tilts, swings and has rise and fall like the most expensive, which it ain't.

Shooter
    35mm
    After reviewing all the web information I have found I think that the camera I am looking for is ebony's sv45u2. May be I can buy it after a life saving money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Really, there are lots of cameras in a wide range of prices that will do what you want.

How portable is "portable" to you, and by portable do you mean lightweight, packs easily, not too bulky, suitable for backpacking, just usable outside a studio, or what exactly?

How wide is "wide"? Just about any 4x5" camera that isn't a specialized wideangle camera will let you easily use lenses in the range of 90-210mm at least. A 90mm lens feels like a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera to me, or at least I would use it in similar situations, and 210mm is a good portrait and tabletop focal length for 4x5". Wider than 75mm narrows your choices a bit, but not by much, as many cameras can accept recessed lensboards or a bag bellows for use with wide lenses, if they can't handle them natively.

Almost any camera made in the last fifty years with a Graflok/International style back will take all the rollfilm formats you mention, and even a camera with a spring back will, but you are more limited to rollfilm backs that slip under the groundglass.

Ebony cameras are nice, but don't become fixated on one camera and let it get in the way of the kind of work you want to do. It's ultimately just a light tight box with a lens on one end and film on the other.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin