Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,466   Posts: 1,570,720   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used an Ebony SW23S, an Arca with all the trimmings and now a Technikardan S in 6x9cm. I've played with a few Horseman's but not used them extensively.

The Technikardan S is by far the best for my purposes because it maintains perfect squarness very well despite being a folding camera. Being square with all movements zeroed is one thing the Arca and Ebony were not as good at and it's extremely important with short focal length lenses typically used in this format.

It sounds like you don't want to spend Linhof money at the moment; it's still worth keeping in mind the importance of being square. From my limited experience with the Horesman VH and VHR, it looks like they would be very easy to keep square but you'll need to check that yourself. You might find their parallel movements a little limiting.

As well as the Galvin I think Toho make a very light 6x9 model that might be worth looking into.

Good luck.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For your lens I would highly recommend the Xenotar 80mm f2.8. This lens is very sharp, is a very nice focal length for 6x7/2x3, and is resonably priced considering. The f2.8 aperture makes for easy handholding. However it is pretty tight for 2x3 so if you want movements it may not be your best bet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 105/2.8 Xenotar. It's my most used lens on my 2x3" Technika (I'm set up for six lenses from 47-180mm at the moment), but if I need movements, I'm usually using a different lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the heck is this, besides perhaps overpriced?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPCON-HORSEMAN-...3%3A1|294%3A50

It is about 15 minutes from me. Looks like it needs dedicated backs, however, and the shift might be inadequate. I don't want any of the lenses either...at least I don't think I do. Do I?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post

It is about 15 minutes from me. Looks like it needs dedicated backs, however, and the shift might be inadequate. I don't want any of the lenses either...at least I don't think I do. Do I?
    Topcon lenses are very good lenses. I have an old Topcon RE Super which I bought in 1968. The Topcor lenses were considered to be among the best. It looks like a really nice kit.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nothing wrong with that stuff except the price, as you mentioned. The camera and lenses are about 4 generations from the last versions Horseman made.

So these lenes are silver on gray boards, then came
    Black barrels on gray boards then came
    Black barrels on black boards (some rescessed), then came
    Black barrels that say ER on black boards with the solenoid attached.
    I don't know of any changes in optics (except possibly multicoating on the ER lenses, but I have not confirmed this).

Specifically with respect to those lenses, the 150 will have coverage to 4x5"
    The 65 will nearly reach 4x5" but later 65mm lenses were on a 5mm recessed board that allowed more movement before hitting the camera body.
    The 180 is the only telephoto Horseman made for the 6x9 system. It has limited movement. I think of that one in terms of portraits and such.

The advantages to the Horseman/Topcon optics would be that they SHOULD be much less expensive than the 'usual' 4x5 lenses out there and if you are going to use the rangefinder, they work very well as long as they come with a cam.

You should go look at it. After seeing the camera in person you will either become fond of the Horseman system or decide it's not for you. In person you will see it is more of a precision camera than a Graphic. It is smaller and all metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    Topcon lenses are very good lenses. I have an old Topcon RE Super which I bought in 1968. The Topcor lenses were considered to be among the best. It looks like a really nice kit.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll go look at it, though I do not want to waste his time if he/she wants $1,500 for it.

The seller sez it is a relabeled Horseman 980. I am trying to find info on the amount of shift I can get with one of them, but no luck so far.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-08-2009 at 06:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. Maybe I'll go look at it, though I do not want to waste his time if he/she wants $1,500 for it.

The seller sez it is a relabeled Horseman 980. I am trying to find info on the amount of shift I can get with one of them, but no luck so far.
    Th amount of shift you can get may depend on the focal length of the lens you are using at the time.

What is the shortest focal length you want to use?
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gorringe View Post
    Th amount of shift you can get may depend on the focal length of the lens you are using at the time.

What is the shortest focal length you want to use?
    Hi, Matthew.

I plan on using lenses in the 65 to 90mm range for the particular thing I have in mind. The lenses I use will probably be 4x5 lenses such as 65mm f/8, 75mm f/8, or 90mm f/8.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check this out:

My message to seller:

"Hello,

I am local. Could I preview the camera kit, please?"

His message to me:

"Sorry, I do not allow previews."

Oh well. The guy must be a weirdo or something to ask that much and then not let someone five miles from him come see the darned thing. Darned shame. I really wanted to see what the 980 is like in person, and try to talk him down if I liked it.

Honestly, however, I don't need all that kit. I just need the camera, a lens board, and a 6x9 back for now.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-08-2009 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin