Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,511   Online: 890

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2x3 in and 6x9 cm options for the "field"

Hello,

I am very impressed by all I have heard about Tachihara and Shen Hao field cameras. I will likely end up getting one some day, however, I think that I would really prefer if the camera was smaller and shot 6x9 on rollfilm instead of 4x5 with a 6x9 reduction back. I want something like the Fuji GX680 (medium format with front movements), but I don't need an SLR and I want something more packable and cheaper, plus all the lens versatility benefits of a view camera. I have heard mention of a 6x9 Tachihara. Do they actually exist? If not, is there anything similar? A small, light folding 6x9 camera with movements and a Graflok back for a reasonable price? (Was a 2x3 Super Speed Graphic ever made?) For some reason I can't seem to locate a Website for the Tachihara company right now.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-07-2009 at 05:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just ordered and received a Horseman VH-R with 3 lenses and a 6x9 back. I can pack the whole set, together with a loupe and Sekonic L758d lightmeter in a Lowepro ProMag 2 AW. I sold a Fuji GX680 system to get this. I like to photograph landscapes and the GX was just way too heavy to carry for long distances, even in the Kelty P2 I bought from Photobackpacker. As an example, in the same Lowepro bag I could only fit the GX680 with a back and lens mounted. The Sekonic went into the frontpocket.

The Horseman has a baby Graflock back, weighs 2 kilo, the back and lenses are light, I guess 3 kilo's all together including the camera. There are other choices, like Linhof Technika (a 6x7 model Technika 70 and a 2x3 model). The linhof system is much more expensive, especially the rollfilmbacks. I used a Linhof Technika 70 a decade ago for a while. Though it is often said that the Linhof is better made than the Horseman, I don't see too much differences.

I hope this helps, all the best and good luck with your choice,
    Frank
    www.flickr.com/photos/asialover

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You are too late with your question: a couple of weeks ago a 6x7 mini Graphic was on sale on Ebay, it went for less than $ 300,- including lens and rollfilm back.

I will keep my eyes open for you !

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ebony makes a couple of 2x3" wooden cameras, and the lightweight 2x3" Galvin monorail might be another option. There are 2x3" Graphics and the 2x3" B&J Watson and Busch Pressman, but I don't know that there was a 2x3" Super Speed Graphic.

I have a 2x3" Technika (Tech V 23b--identical to the last version, but in tan rather than black), and I quite like having a camera that doubles as a view camera or a rangefinder press camera, and the Linhof backs probably have the best film flatness of anything out there. Linhof Super-Rollex backs for the 2x3" Linhofs are generally less expensive on the used market than Linhof rollfilm backs for the 4x5" cameras, just because there is less demand for them. Later models (Tech 70 and Tech V 23 and 23b) can still be cammed by Marflex for your lenses, and it's somewhat less expensive than having lenses cammed for the 4x5" Technika, because one 3-lobed 2x3" cam is cheaper than 3 individual 4x5" cams. If you are looking at an earlier model, it's best to find a kit with three cammed lenses included.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

There's a little Tachihara for sale on Camera Eccentric: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/sale/hansa_4.html

Price seems a bit steep, but if you can't find one elsewhere, it might not be.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    A small, light folding 6x9 camera with movements and a Graflok back for a reasonable price?
    I'll second the suggestion for Horseman. I picked up a VH-R and collected all the lenses and cams and other goodies over a year period. I probably spent $2000 getting all the lenses, meter, backs, body, shades, grip, filters, etc. That was a few years ago. I suspect, today, just a body and lens should be in the $300-$500 range, depending on if you want the VH-R or an earlier (just as good) model.

Handheld with ei 400 film, it is a significant improvement over 35mm (as long as there is enough light). On a tripod with T-max 100 it closes in on 4x5 quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for helping me compile a list of options. Ebony cameras are nice, but out of bounds for me. I like the Horseman. I would love to try one out to see if it has enough shift. Are the lenses dedicated, or can I use what I already have? That little Hansa looks like a sweetie-pie as well. I don't think it is worth over $600, however. I wonder if it is the same camera as the Tachihara Shirom 69. I found one pic of the Shirom on the Web, and it looks identical. I wonder if the camera is as solid as their other models, of if it is more rickety. A Linhof would be nice, but perhaps a bit pricey. I will look into them. People have told me not to go for the earlier Technika models, but I forgot exactly why they said so. I do need a healthy amount of vertical and lateral shift (one inch or more of each would be nice), and possibly some tilt every now and then.

I really love my Super 23, except for a few things: 1. It is heavy and bulky. 2. It takes dedicated lenses. 3. The rear movements only work with one lens as far as I can tell, and the lens is a 42mm equivalent angle of view while I want something in between 28mm and 35mm equivalent for most of the pix I will take. 75mm would be perfect, and I already have the 75mm press lens, which I have removed from the helical mount in preparation for mounting on a lens board.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-07-2009 at 09:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are on a budget, consider an older cut-film camera. You can get roll film backs for some of them. Either get hold of
    septums to use standard 2x3" sheet film or cut down 5x7 film into 4ths (or something like that - been a while since I used
    mine...).

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/z...deal/ideal.htm
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Galvin back for $50., it measures 5" square, I was going to make a back for my 4X5 Shen Hao, which isn't a bad idea, but decided to make a smaller version of the field camera. I think it will be fun to have a true backpack camera. I have four Grafmatic 23's, over twenty new film holders, several roll backs models 22 and 23. I bought all of this for my Busch 23 2 1/4 X 3 1/4. It has one limitation, it has a small lens board that is not a removable type and would not be able to use larger shutters. A 2 1/4 field camera is so small that I can use some really nice wood. The Hansa looks nice and I've seen it before, the price is a little too high in my mind though.

I finally found a company that will make a film punch to my specifications. I want a die cutter that produces the exact film size for my film holders and specifically the Grafmatic septum's. And I want a corner notch otherwise it's not worth it. There are some great films out there but they are not in 2x3.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    On the Horseman you can use dedicated lenses or any other brand (from 65mm to about 240mm). This list gives you an idea of useful lenses:
    http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/lens_list.html

As long as the rear element is not wider than 65mm. That is, if you focus by using the groundglass. There is some discussion on the internet if it is possible to use the cam of for instance the 5.6 150mm Horseman lens on any 5.6 150mm lens or only on the dedicated 150mm lens. Contrary to Linhof cams that are matched to a particular lens with it's serial number on the cam, Horseman cams are for the focal lenght only.
    Last edited by Frank Bunnik; 03-08-2009 at 03:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin