Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,942   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Medium Format

Out-dated Polaroid type 79; How old can it be before it's useless?

I've been hunting for more type 79 for ages. I finally hit on a stockist that has some out-dated film. The problem is that it's dated October 1999!

I know that big color shifts are seen with films that are 3 years past it, but how about 10! Do you think the developer will have evaporated to nothing?

Anybody used 'orribly out of date large format polaroid? any experiences would really help.

Thanks,

Benj

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take it only if free. The chances of it still being good are slim to nil.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have some 672 (medium format) that is 6 years out of date. A good day gives me 1 in 4 shots actually working; most of the time I get less. Since I paid $1 for 2 boxes, it is not too bad but I would not have paid more.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The problem is that the developer pods dry out over time, and the film will not process fully. I would just assume that it is beyond usefulness.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin