Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,354   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Airline carry-on case

To date I have used a backpack, Lowepro, and a computer case to carry my cameras on board when flying. I would like to switch to a hard case but I would be back to lugging it around in airports. Some larger cases have wheels but it seem excessive. I see people stuffing and pushing and crushing bags in the overhead so a hard case seems like a good choice. What's a smart choice for a medium format or 4x5 and lenses? I also see that TSA combination locks are available, anyone use them and where?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been thinking of getting the Pelican 1510:

http://www.pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1510
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    I've been thinking of getting the Pelican 1510:

http://www.pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1510
    I have that Pelican 1510 and it fits a complete Hasselblad system (with dividers not with foam): Two bodies, one winder, four lenses, three backs, polaroid back and adjustable lens shade. No room for the smaller accessories (such as filters and tubes) though.
    I am sure it will fit a 4x5 with lenses and accessories just fine though.
    I haven't taken it on a plane or actually moved it from the studio at all, but it feels comfortable to carry, if a bit heavy.
    Be sure to get a lock for it, such as the Pelican one or one that would fit the holes.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Tamrac Expedition 7 backpack - has the added benefit of going out into the field with me. The 8 is a bit taller but otherwise the same. It seems to do a fine job protecting my gear. It fits into a 737 overhead fine but it was a very tight fit into a Embraer or Canadair RJ (I had to remove the contents of the laptop pocket, put in the bag and then replace the contents)

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also recommend the Pelican 1510. It's made for the purpose you describe. Get the extra lid insert with all the pockets. That's where all the filters and small things go that Ari can't fit in. Mine holds an RB67, 4 lenses, 3 backs, prism, spot meter, film, filters, cable releases, notebooks, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Get the extra lid insert with all the pockets. That's where all the filters and small things go that Ari can't fit in
    I chose not to get it as it replaces the top foam and felt a tiny bit less secure without it. I am sure its not a problem, so I may get it someday, just to have all my Hassy gear in one place. Yes, put all my eggs in one basket- atleast this one doesn't break.

With a hook for the wall (the ones that fit in securely) and something similar in the car, with a heavy chain wrapped around you have a very well protected case against theft too.

Just have in mind and I will repeat it: its really heavy.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Porter case (http://www.portercase.com/) and love it. Whilst I carry medium format equipment in it instead of large, there's no reason it can't be reconfigured for whatever you want to carry. It comes with a set of Velcro-attached padded dividers, so you can move them as you need them. It also has the advantage that it converts into a hand truck to carry your checked luggage around the airport. I've carried it on many airplanes and have never had a problem fitting it into overheads.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pelican 1550 (with foam) fits a complete MF kit comfortably. It has no wheels and is still OK to take on int'l flights as carry-on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was actually looking at the Pelican 1510 last night, they say that it's the largest carry on. As Ari says though it's really heavy. That's the nature of camera equipment, it comes heavy and I have the "everything but the kitchen sink" syndrome. I'll have to think it over and pare it down.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My recommendation would be a Haliburton, they are pricy new, but used ones are around. They are light, sturdy, and very comfortable to carry.
    For a carry-on I don't think you need to worry about a TSA lock, since you'll always be with the bag. Just don't lock it for when it goes through the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin