Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,798   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shen-Hao: Graflex back?

Hope I spelled it correctly, there are a verity of spellings on th web. I'm wondering if my 4x5 Shen Hao will accept a Horseman 612 roll film back. The Horseman uses the Graflex system. My goal is to eventually get a Horseman Pro 612 system and when I do I'll have this as a back-up or possibly for N+1 Zone Systems exposures. 2 backs are better than one, different film? I know Shen Hao makes a 6x17 roll film back, too big, bulky and not usable on another manufacturers system. The Horseman Pro 612 has some advantages including interchanging lenses and backs with the Shen-Hao. (if I'm lucky). If it turns out the Shen Hao does not accept the Horseman roll film back, does the Chamonix 4x5?
    Last edited by Robland; 03-20-2009 at 01:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling, what else?
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your back should have sliders. Check and see. Slide the sliders and the ground glass should come off.

Shen Hao also makes a 6x12 which is fairly cheap. The 6x17 they make for 4x5 cameras should fit any graflok back camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Which model?

My Shen Hao 45HZ-II has a graflok back, and works well with my gaoersi 6x12 back.

I don't know what version you're thinking of. Look at badger graphic to see the models available.
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What you are asking is "does my camera have a GRAFLOK back?" Not Graflex, but designed by Graflex originally, it has always been called a "Graflok" back.

The Graflok system allows you to use a variety of standardized back accessories, such as roll film backs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is there a difference between graflox and graflex backs?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shen hao hzx45 IIA- is graflok same as a graflex back

Hi, just bought a Shen hao hzx45 IIA 4x5 camera and looking to buy the graflex "23" 6x9 back for 4x5 cameras but not sure if it will work. Camera is a graflok back and 120 back is graflex.anyone with this knowledge plz advise a newby to 4x5.thx in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiakid View Post
    Is there a difference between graflox and graflex backs?
    Yes. In general -- there are exceptions -- film holders that fit one won't fit the other.

Graflex Inc was a company; Graflex Inc is the last incarnation, it began as Folmer & Schwing. Graflex is a brand. Within the Graflex (the company and brand) product slate Graflex cameras are all SLRs with focal plane shutters. The Graflex back was introduced I don't know when (early 20th century) and was used on Graflex SLRs. Graflex backs have one slider, a lip opposite the slider that one edge of the film holder slips under and a lip at the insertion side of the gate. This lip fits in a groove in the film holder. Graflex SLRs rarely have ground glass focusing panels that sit behind the shutter. However, Graphic press cameras (read on) could be ordered with Graflex backs; these backs have focusing panels that are attached and detached like film holders.

Graflex the company made a number of camera types in addition to Graflex SLRs. These include view cameras and press cameras. Graflex' press cameras were called Graphics. Early ones (up to the next-to-last incarnation) all have focal plane shutters, are called Speed Graphics. The next-to-last incarnation (Pacemaker Graphics), introduced in 1947, expanded the line to include press cameras with no focal plane shutter (Pacemaker Crown Graphics, usually called Crown Graphics) and with focal plane shutter (Pacemaker Speed Graphic). All of the SLRs and press cameras have wooden bodies. The last press camera, the Super Grapic, has a metal body.

In 1949 Graflex Inc. introduced the Graflok back. Two sliders, removable focusing panel, a groove at the insertion side of the gate that mates with a ridge on the film holder. Compatible with slip-in sheet film holders as used with spring backs. To add to the fun, up to 1949 all Graphics came with spring backs that Graflex Inc. (and predecessors) called Graphic backs; other makers call them spring backs. Other makers offer versions of the Graflok back, often call it "international back."

To add to the merriment, for a couple of years after 1949 the standard back supplied with Graphics was the Graphic back; the Graflok was initially a higher-priced option. Graflex Inc. supplied Graflok backs to be retrofitted to older Graphics.

About the exceptions. If I recall correctly, Grafmatic magazine film holders will attach to both Graflex and Graflok backs, will slip in under some, not all, Graphic backs. And when Graflex introduced their modern roll holders, ones made to attach Graflex SLRs (roll holders marked Graflex on the back) would also attach to Graflok backs. Graflex Inc roll holders marked Graphic on the back will attach only to Graflok backs. To add to the general hilarity, later roll holders for Graflex SLRs (still marked Graflex on the back) will not attach to Graflok backs.

If you're confused, that's ok. Graflex-speak is confusing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sheet holders, roll holders and grafmatics made for the Graflex back are wider than those made for the Graflok back so they will only fit the Graflex back. Sheet holders, roll holders and grafmatics made for the Graflok back have a raised light trap that is incompatible with the Graflex back and will cause light leaks. For the sheet holders the difference is fundamental and can't be fixed; for the RFH and grafmatics it can be remedied by changing the base plate. Occasionally you will find grafmatics that have made modified from the Graflex type to the Graflok type. Nowadays that is probably unnecessary since the Graflex type are uncommon and if you buy one by mistake it will be easy to sell on or exchange for the correct version with a Graflex SLR owner.

For more detail than you probably want, look here-> http://www.paulewins.com/old_site/re.../grafmatic.htm

Note that grafmatics will often slip under a spring back (but not always) while a roll film holder (RFH) will need to have the focussing panel unclipped and removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    Sheet holders, roll holders and grafmatics made for the Graflex back are wider than those made for the Graflok back so they will only fit the Graflex back.
    Not so, Paul. I have in hand a 2x3 RB Ser. B with Graflex back and four 2x3 Graphics with Graflok backs. I also have in hand an early Graflex 23 roll holder (Graflex, not Graphic, is painted on the back of the shell) that fits the RB and the Graphics. It fits 2x3 Graflex and 2x3 Graflok backs correctly. I also have Graphic 23 and 2x3 RH roll holders that fit my Graphics (all have Grafloks, remember) but not my Graflex RB and a late Graflex roll holder (Graflex on the back) that fits my Graflex RB but not my Graphics.

As I wrote, there are exceptions and I have one. I wasn't speculating or quoting internet BS, I was reporting on what my gear does. BTW, Graflex Inc advertised early Graflex roll holders as fitting Graflex and Graflok backs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Both enquiries were about 4x5 cameras, so my responses were tailored to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin