Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,110   Online: 846

Thread: Lens Board Help

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Lens Board Help

I use to have Crown Graphic and never changed lenses. I now have a Toyo Field and trying to get a handle on lens board selection. I'm having a hard time finding them used, as well as new. The lens board I need is a flat 110mm square board for a 90mm lens. Which would be a No. 0, right? I'm looking at used Super Angulon f8 , Fujinon SW f8 or possibly a Rodenstock Grandagon N f6.8. I've seen them mounted in Seiko, Compur and Copal. Are all No. 0 mounts the same size? Confused about this. Also on the KEH site the lenses are listed with numbers such as a 35 mount. How does the 35 relate to No. 0? It seems more confusing than it probably is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by downhome-jlg; 03-21-2009 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can see the product codes listed under 'accessories' on the toyoview.com site. They have the 110mm boards in copal 0, copal 1. Most likely you need copal 0, but take apart your 90 and measure the size. Copal 0 is 35mm diameter and copal 1 is 42mm. If you are looking at other lenses, the vendor should be able to tell you whether they are copal 0 or 1 size, or at least measure them for you.

I've used Calumet Chicago as a dealer to get me Toyo boards and they are knowledgeable and quick shipping to Canada.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

P.S. I just remembered something I figured out: The width of a darkslide is 110mm. Failing to find a board, you could cut a darkslide and drill out the middle for the lens. So if it's an emergency....
    Last edited by David William White; 03-21-2009 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added p.s.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, David.

So basically a Copal No. 0 = 35 mount? And a Copal No. 1 = 42 mount? Is the Copal name used because it's the standard? that can be applied to older mounts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, these are the standard today. If you are sourcing older lenses (before 1950???), it's always best to measure just to be sure or be prepared to drill out your own board, or scrounge a flange, or somesuch.

There are others here that are much more knowledgeable about older lenses and their shutter mounts if you need specific detail.
    Last edited by David William White; 03-21-2009 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin