Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,559   Online: 819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good points! - except if I wanted to rent, there are no LF camera stores in the area where I live (at least none that I'm aware of). I live just south of Sacramento. I'd have to travel to the S.F. Bay to see what's available.

Tim - What's available in S.J., Santa Clara, Palo Alto, etc.?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Good points! - except if I wanted to rent, there are no LF camera stores in the area where I live (at least none that I'm aware of). I live just south of Sacramento. I'd have to travel to the S.F. Bay to see what's available.

Tim - What's available in S.J., Santa Clara, Palo Alto, etc.?
    LF? Film in Palo Alto. That's it.

Your best bet is going to the City and looking up Calumet.

My advice is given in that I learned on a Orbit or the like in photo school, spent the next 20 years shooting nothing better than a Speed Graphic, finally bought a couple of B&J 5x7s (one studio, one field) and lastly got my good camera, an 8x10 Deardorff which I do truly love.

Perhaps a loaner camera is possible? Ya want to learn movements? The B&J 5x7 with a 4x5 back is perfectly adaquate for that, let me know. Ya want to go traipsing around, the 5x7 Field is OK, not great, but for field work it's good.

I have both if you wish, with a 4x5 back and a couple of holders.

It's all the rest of the stuff that is the learning curve and the sooner you get started, the better off you are.

And as always, spend the most money on GLASS.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    LF? Film in Palo Alto. That's it.

Your best bet is going to the City and looking up Calumet.

tim in san jose
    Hey,
    ...not to be a homer or anything but in Palo Alto there is also rentals and, the last time I looked, some new and used equipment. I also happen to have it on good authority that at least one of the places in Palo Alto is willing to ship that kind of stuff to folks who live outside the bay area.

Just sayin'...
    Celac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin View Post
    Hey,
    ...not to be a homer or anything but in Palo Alto there is also rentals and, the last time I looked, some new and used equipment. I also happen to have it on good authority that at least one of the places in Palo Alto is willing to ship that kind of stuff to folks who live outside the bay area.

Just sayin'...
    Celac
    My experience is at K&S on California Street. Been there quite often but I don't recall seeing any LF equipment there, new or used in quite some time.

You might know more.

tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I knew about the Calumet in the City. I assumed that S.F., perhaps E. Bay and peninsula areas would be my best bet in being able to actually see and touch some gear. I was in Menlo Park this past Saturday but didn't get a chance to stop in Palo Alto. Maybe next trip I can plan on checking out a few shops.

Thanks for the leads ...

And as always, spend the most money on GLASS. --Amen to that Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I knew about the Calumet in the City. I assumed that S.F., perhaps E. Bay and peninsula areas would be my best bet in being able to actually see and touch some gear. I was in Menlo Park this past Saturday but didn't get a chance to stop in Palo Alto. Maybe next trip I can plan on checking out a few shops.

Thanks for the leads ...

And as always, spend the most money on GLASS. --Amen to that Tim
    Also be aware there are a couple of traveling camera shows in the bay area. They center around Hayward and Alameda on weekends. Lots of 135 stuff, some 120 equipment and some LF. Bargains? When you are selling, all your stuff is gold. I have picked up some nice stuff though. A Bogen 3036 tripod with a Gitzo head... $150.00. These places are good for picking up things like filters for weird sizes and darkroom equipment cheap.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    My experience is at K&S on California Street. Been there quite often but I don't recall seeing any LF equipment there, new or used in quite some time.

You might know more.

tim
    Hey Tim,
    Well, I am probably there more often than you... I work upstairs in darkroom / repair. You and I have talked on a number of occasions. Any LF equip (other than darkroom) is across the street at 261. The last time I talked to the used guy they had a Sinar and a Wisner kit in used. (the Sinar was on the counter today) There was also a nice little Horseman technical w/ roll back and lens. LF lenses, both new and used are at the same counter in the 261 store.
    Celac

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As I always say "get the best you can afford". Most likely you will have more fun learning on and using a camera you are proud of. There are reasons why some cameras are less expensive than others. Personally I would consider the Chamonix or a Toyo metal field camera. Cameras can be like pieces of art in themselves. I certainly don't just think of my cameras as merely "boxes" or a tool, although they are both of those, but they are also beautiful objects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok Tim., Celac. Let's come clean. I'm Familiar wil Palo Alto.
    Could you share the name amd address, or maybe they have a web page?

Sounds like my best chance to visit the candy store, cause there's nothing around here. I don't think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin View Post
    Hey Tim,
    Well, I am probably there more often than you... I work upstairs in darkroom / repair. You and I have talked on a number of occasions. Any LF equip (other than darkroom) is across the street at 261. The last time I talked to the used guy they had a Sinar and a Wisner kit in used. (the Sinar was on the counter today) There was also a nice little Horseman technical w/ roll back and lens. LF lenses, both new and used are at the same counter in the 261 store.
    Celac
    Yep, we have talked often. I just never knew who you were on APUG.

Counter on the right hand side as you walk in from the street at 261? Maybe I'll get by there this weekend.

BTW all, this guy knows his stuff.

tim in san jose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin