Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,176   Online: 965

Thread: Forty years on!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Forty years on!

In 1965 I was given a 4X5 Speed Graphic with a number of lenses and accessories. It was (and still is) in almost new condition. The camera is fitted with a Graflok back and has several glass plate and sheet film holders as well as a rollfilm back (8 on 120). It has a large flashgun (with two reflectors) which also powers the solenoid release on its Kodak lens and the 'Focuspot' lamp attached to the coupled rangefinder.

I experimented with the camera as a schoolboy but for more than 40 years it has just moved with me from attic to attic! Having recently begun to browse the wonderful portfolios on this site, I see a number of APUG members use these cameras, so I think it is time to try mine out again.

I have far too many questions for just one post, but for now can anyone tell me anything about these lenses, and in particular who in the UK can service their shutters?

Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7
    Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 210mm f4.5

Any tips, advice, ecouragement you can give me as I start this new journey will be very welcome!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy some film and just do it Bill. I`m sure that outfit is capable of superb results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    In 1965 I was given a 4X5 Speed Graphic with a number of lenses and accessories. It was (and still is) in almost new condition. The camera is fitted with a Graflok back and has several glass plate and sheet film holders as well as a rollfilm back (8 on 120). It has a large flashgun (with two reflectors) which also powers the solenoid release on its Kodak lens and the 'Focuspot' lamp attached to the coupled rangefinder.

Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7
    Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 210mm f4.5

Bill
    Of course, if it`s too much bother, you could give to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    On the lenses: try the shutters, if they run smoothly (more or less) get some 120-film and start making pic's with this great camera.
    If they are stuck, they will need a Clean Lube and Adjust or CLA.
    The 127mm will be more or less a standard lens on 6x9, the 210mm a moderate tele.

Happy shooting !
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black on White in Bristol have been servicing my shutters, they are reasonable prices, quick and very good. bGood luck with the Graphic - I have 3 that get used, (2 in the UK).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

Your new kit

I'm afraid you have bought a pig in a poke and I'm offering you $15 for the lot--not!

Methinks you were asking a rhetorical question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, I'm with Keith, just keep feeding it film and you will both grow to love each other

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For basic large format refresher, look at the article at:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

For specific Speed Graphic camera stuff (besides searching here), check out:
    www.graflex.org

My advice would be to do a quick refresher on film loading, focusing (don't forget to close the lens after), and developing, and then get a 10 sheet pack of Ilford film or a cheap pack of Eastern Euro stuff, and go make some mistakes. The basics aren't rocket science, and are often easier to understand by trying them than reading about them. You'll screw up some film, but learn the basics pretty quick. Then you can focus on the finer details and techniques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, everyone! I shall call Black on White tomorrow.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    My advice... and then get a 10 sheet pack of Ilford film or a cheap pack of Eastern Euro stuff....
    Hi Terence: How about buying some Kodak film? Cordially, Howard Tanger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin