Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,113   Posts: 1,613,024   Online: 1227

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sinar fresnel lens question?

Hi All, Please excuse this what might seem to some a very basic question but all the LF cameras I have used in the past have had their fresnel lens inside the camera with the grooves in contact with the ground surface of the focusing screen. However it appears that with the Sinar F,C,P range the fresnel fits on the outside of the camera behind the gg screen.

My question is....Doesn't that give TWO focusing points?

Please put me out of my misery gently

Cheers Dave in London

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, the focus is always on the ground glass, the fresnel is only altering the direction of the light in these screens not offering magnification. It does matter which way the particular back is designed to take the fresnel as that can afect focus if you place the combination the wrong way around.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ahhhhh, So the concentric rings of the fresnel are in contact with the smooth side of the gg screen...Correct ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, that should be right.
    I have had it this way for 20 years on my Sinar P2.
    Having it the other way around would mean that you damage the fresnel when focussing with a magnifier.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now I understand....Thanks Ian and Peter........Job done.

Cheers Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin