Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the time that I purchased the Berleback for my refractor as part of an alt/az and Equatorial (for tracking) mount setup; I was thinking I would need a smaller lighter tripod setup for grab n' go. But now with the potential acquisition of a Chamonix 045n-1, I may end up with yet another tripod.

Oh boy ...

BTW Bethe, I like your work. I can understand your desire to return to the United Kingdom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW Bethe, I like your work. I can understand your desire to return to the United Kingdom.
    Thanks - when there's an old castle at nearly every exit, how can you go wrong?!

At the time I got my second tripod (well, really 3rd, but I gave #1 to my brother), I figured I'd usually want a separate entire one for the 4x5. In retrospect, I could probably have gotten just a new head for the other legs (they can handle a good amount of weight). But the Berlebach is so pretty. I just need to make it easier to carry - the Manfrotto has an attached strap that's much easier to wander through the woods with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I use a Markins ball head with my 4x5, MF and 35mm kits. No complaints whatsoever. Get a really right stuff clamp for each and you're set.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    "the Manfrotto 410 geared head is even better"
    Peter

Looks very sleek and clean. What type of plate are you using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my Arca-Swiss monoball with my LF camera (in fact, all my cameras). It's quite a beast, well-engineered and I find I have no problems with it all. Someone made a comment about the contact area between ball head and camera - I have a Manfrotto quick release on the top (hexagon style) and this gives a large surface area.

David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using a ball-head on my tripod. I just find easier to work with.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been running Benbo tripods for the last 25 years, all of them are equipped with a Benbo 50mm ball head.

My Shen Hao sits very nicely at any angle with all lenses except the 400 Tele, which is really quite large and at one end of the camera. In fact the camera has issues if you close focus the tele and rack the rail out anyway.

I also have a Calumet mono-rail, now that is a heavy camera for a 50mm ball head, the ball head just holds it. Not the best really.

You might like to consider the Manfrotto three way 056 head, it's very small, quite light and holds my Calumet with ease.

I think with the light weight camera you are thinking of, the ball head you have, will work very well.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    @ lilmsmaggie : The 410 comes with it's own type of plate, rather large for 35mm or D, but great for camera's like the SL 66, RB 67 and the lighter LF's. I would not put a beast like the Sinar P2 8x10 inch on it though.

It comes with 2 screws: one 1/4" and one 3/8" , so you can mount any camera on it.
    There is a place to store the screw you don't use on the head.

If you want pic's of it, PM me with your regular email adress and I will send you some shots.
    It centainly would be a great head for your Chamonix, esp if you want to level the camera quickly !

Peter
    Last edited by archphoto; 03-30-2009 at 07:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Addition

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Ball head, or pan & tilt?

Can you use a ball head with a 4X5 LF cameras, or are pan & tilt heads preferable? The reason I'm asking is that I only have a ball head for my tripod.

Hmm ...
    Try it out, see if it works. Keep an eye out for slippage with the ball head you have, and scrutinize the negatives (or positives) for sharpness. Hopefully you can use what you have and not be forced to make another purchase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sweet! - thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin