Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,548   Online: 934

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What the heck is a "digital" LF lens??

No, I don't want to start a digithread here, of course, but there are several "Digitar" lenses for sale in the Recent Classifieds, and I don't even know what they are. As I understand it, digital cameras aren't (or weren't 2 hours ago) able to easily handle the oblique angles of light from the non-central areas of the potential image. Are "digtal" lenses modified in some way that enables this to be better managed? Are such lenses equally able to perform well with film? Were I to buy one for my film camera would there be any advantage or disadvantage to the lens's effect on a traditional film set-up? Inquiring minds (with apparently too many free moments on hand) want to know!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about LF lenses that use fingers aka digits to make adjustments?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They have smaller image circles and from the looks of it the flange to infinity focus is longer than the focal length. So they are optimized for smaller sensors and try to keep the light at less oblique angles. They will work just fine on film (coverage limits apply of course).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    They have smaller image circles and from the looks of it the flange to infinity focus is longer than the focal length. So they are optimized for smaller sensors and try to keep the light at less oblique angles. They will work just fine on film (coverage limits apply of course).
    What size sensors are they made to cover with movements? The ones that are approx. 645 size, or the bigger ones that are made for LF cameras?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-30-2009 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    often times the numeric lf lenses do not have a large back element.
    very much like older wollensak lenses and ilex lenses from the 40s-70s ..
    at least that was what a sales person told me years ago ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What size sensors are they made to cover with movements? The ones that are approx. 645 size, or the ones that are made for LF cameras?
    I think there really is only one sized sensor and that is the 6x4.5. Actually most are slightly less than a full 6x4.5 frame. There is now one full frame sensor in I think the Phase 65mp back. Look at Badger Graphics to see the specs. Here is a 35mm Apo Sironar http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c..._detail&p=1528
    They claim coverage of a 37x49mm sensor.

I bet these things are fantastic with roll film. The longer lenses such as the 55mm should cover 6x7 with movements. I wonder if it matches the Mamiya 7.

These lenses offer fantastic resolution compared to "non digital" lenses. Up to 200 lines per millimeter. Comparisons in Photo Techniques show they really blow away medium format lenses using the same digital back. Not sure how many films would really take advantage of these lenses; Acros, TMax 100, Ektar 100 and Velvia, perhaps. Still a lot cheaper to shoot 8x10 color with a "normal" large format lens. The 65 megapixel backs, with a sensor size of under 6x4.5, cost over $40,000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since most digital sensors are in the Bayer format (which have red, green, and blue photosites at different locations), chromatic aberration can become an especially big issue, and it is important for the lenses to be apo corrected or to at least have a number of ED elements. Thus the digital LF lenses.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin