Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,842   Online: 892

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is uncoated Zeiss Tessar 150mm f:3.5 any good?

A friend offered me this lens (sn: 1,5xx,xxx) mounted in compur dial shutter. Is it worth getting? I have already had a 180mm heliar which I like. How different is it than its little brother f:4.5?

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose that it depends on how you define 'good'. Since it's uncoated it's going to have a different 'look' than a coated lens; probably a little softer, lower in contrast but shadows will be more open. Most photographers prefer coated or multicoated lenses for a variety of reasons but I have a 1939 Rolleiflex with an uncoated tessar lens which I absolutely adore: b&w looks very dated, vintage in appearance. With color film, things look very different than with a modern lens. It's hard to describe but hue and saturation are lower and skies especially have a look that I really, really like. Your mileage may vary! I think that your best option is to try the lens out for a while, if possible, see if it works for you.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have an uncoated 21cm 3.5 tessar in a barrel.
    it is my favorite lens these days.
    if the price is right, grab it!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SN: 1,5xx,xxx should be in a rim-set Compur as it dates from 1934 which is 5 years after the Compur was redesigned.

I was using a 135mm Tessar on my Crown Graphic and found that edge & corner sharpness only became reasonable at f16 and good at f22. The lack of coating gives a rounded tonality, different to modern coated versions I found the major difference was alack of micro contrast when I compared prints made with it to those from my Symmars, and more recently 50's T coated CZJ f4.5 150mm Tessar and modern Xenar f5.5 150mm (21st C SN).

The extra speed of the f3.5 is likely to be at the expense of edge/corner sharpness, there was also an f6.3 version of the Tessar's.

If your Heliar is uncoated the Tessar should be similar in its results.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin