Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,762   Online: 1082

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dagor with flange cemented to the front

I recently bought a dagor because I got a really good price on it. The reason I got a really good price on it, is because the flange is cemented to the front of the lens where the lens hood should be.

My questions are:

1) Why did somebody do this. For projection? It doesn't seem to cover more than when facing correctly. It only seems to have more exagerated distortion on the edges.

2) How do I get this darn thing off?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the Goerz Dagor was a perfectly symmetrical pair. As my wife would say, a "push me pull you". It shouldn't make a dimes worth of difference which way it's facing.

I'll let someone else answer your other questions......

Leave it that way. What a great conversation starter at the workshops.

What if you get it off and discover it's the wrong flange for that lens and it won't fit, but it would work ok if you glued it on the other end? Sounds like something a photographer would do.
    Last edited by jimgalli; 03-31-2009 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. The most logical reason might be that the rear threads on the barrel are messed up. Are they O.K.?

2. This one I don't really know. Strong solvents or heat might damage the cement in the cell. If the rear threads are fine, it might have to be cut out by a machinist, which would destroy a good bit of your savings. Any idea what kind of glue?

Good luck, Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Basicly, if you can remove the lenses, aperture and everything that could be damaged by either solvents or heat that should be a start.

Next I would put the part with the flange in boiling water and see what happens.
    You will need 2 oven-mittens to protect jour hands.

I would not put a burner to it or put it on an electric heater element.

Expect discoloring of the brass and I realy think this is a complete restauration project to start out with.
    You might have a look at the Large Format Forum, there are a couple of threads about it.

Good luck and be carefull,

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks guys.

I did a better test to check out the coverage, and I couldn't tell any difference. I'm just going to leave it and use it as is until I get more feedback.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Maybe you could post some pic's of the lens and the part that seems to be glued. It might give a better insight in what is wrong with the lens.

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe someone mounted it behind a board and had some kind of front mounted shutter in front?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the flange does not affect the image, why try to remove it. My farther said "if it's working don't fix it".

But if you must, remember if it is supper glue, you will need to get it hot before the glue will brake down. If it is glued to the out side you can cut it but you have to be very careful not to cut into the lens housing.
    It's not the camera......

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin