Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 842

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    There's an answer to this question somewhere but I just had to ask.

Once you have your 4X5, 5X7 or 8X10 system (camera body, lens, film holders, tripod, etc.), just how do you transport all this stuff? Most camera bags are designed with with smaller format cameras bodies in mind.

I'm primarily interested in how people transport and protect their 4X5 gear. Especially, those photographers that may need to hike from their base location (auto, tent, cabin, etc.) where ever that may be to their prospective shooting location.
    My idea of a hike is from the darkroom to the computer. For photographing close to the road, a wheeled Sears Tool Caddy. It has room enough inside for a 5x7 Ansco View and everything else I need. The tray that goes in the top is for all kinds of small stuff. And an anti-skid top goes on that. Tripod is bungee corded to the top. The unit is solid enough so that this arthritis-plagued dinosaur can sit on top
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 4x5: the camera (Zone VI), five lenses, six holders, light meter, filters, loupe, cable release and dark cloth all go into a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW backpack. Tripod on the shoulder. Extra film holders, if necessary, go in the F64 film holder case.

For 8x10: the camera (Wehman), three lenses, three holders, light meter, filters, loupe, cable release and dark cloth all go into a F64 BPX backpack.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Photobackpacker system for both 4x5 & 8x10. Great system and Bruce is a true gentleman as well (and Apug Sponsor)

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Photobackpacker system for both 4x5 & 8x10. Great system and Bruce is a true gentleman as well (and Apug Sponsor)

Gary
    Couldn't agree more. It's an almost perfect system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok...

The Tamrac Cyberpak 6, meant for those digital folks, will carry everything from my Nikon stuff (with lots of extra room) to my 8x10 Deardorff, with enough associated equipment to provide amusement for several hours of photo taking pleasure. The main pack holds the camera, the space dedicated for the laptop holds three 8x10 (and many more smaller format) film holders, the front pocket holds meter, lens boards, loupe, t-shirt for dark cloth, and all filters. I carry the tripod either over my shoulder or with a strap across my chest. For smaller formats, it will carry way too much rb67 stuff. For the days I take out my Speed Graphic, a simple backpack carries all the stuff in relative safety.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ford Ranger - I can fit all my stuff from 4x5, 8x10 and 11x14 plus lenses and holders and tripods plus a cooler
    erik

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For anything within a 5 hour round trip walk I use my Lowepro backpack, but that limits me to where I can shoot. I'm currently working on a light, soft padded case for my camera, one for a lens and another for everything else. This way I can start packing my 4x5 away in my tramping pack and once I get a lighter, less bulky tripod, I'll be able to handle 1-3 night trips in the bush at the expense of a change of clothes or something else I don't necessarily need. It will also allow me to get sunrise/set photos in some of the locations I love going to, as I'll be able to shoot from a tent pretty comfortably.

Still gotta sort things out completely though. LF + tripod + tent + food + clothes needs to be reasonably well thought out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Like Eric,

Norma expert 5x4 in case, case in Landrover Discovery. When disco goes no further case goes on a shopping trolly tripod on strap.

I thought I needed a longer lens, I baught the Landrover and found I didnot.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to www.photobackpacker.com. I have their RPT P1 and the right cases for my gear and it's just awesome. At maximum load, I carry a Tachihara 4x5, 3 lenses, a Rolleiflex 2.8F TLR, a Nikon F100 with a medium zoom lens and a 180mm fixed lens, a Pentax spotmeter, quickloads, tripod and all the other related odds and ends I need. I usually leave the 35mm stuff at home, which leaves a little more space in the pack and keeps the weight down. By the way, this pack is way lighter than anything from Lowepro and the suspension is top notch for extended hiking. Hiked around in Death Valley for a week recently and can't think of a better way to do it. If you're just going to carry the 4x5, you could certainly get away with their smaller backpacks. If you're shooting 5x7, 8x10, or multiple kits like I am (or if you're going to pack for longer hiking), then I would only consider the P1.

I have no connection to the company, just very happy with the quality of their gear and highly recommend it to others. Oh, and if you're thinking about not getting their cases because they're expensive, I'd think again, because they're probably the best part of the system. Great protection and well designed for easy but secure access. Ok, I'll stop the infomercial now. Best of luck.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Bogen back pack where the 4x5 and dark cloth fits in the lower compartment. I carry one lens only, and that's in a padded box in a top compartment along with about six or seven film holders, cable release, and filters. My meter fits in one of the outside pockets along with cleaning wipes, a bottle of water, some sun screen, a level, and a stop clock. (although I have never managed to remember all of those items on any single trip, at least one thing is left behind).
    I carry my tripod.
    My camera is a wooden field camera from Fine Art Photo Supply, and it folds together very nicely.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin