Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 852

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

OK - You got the 4X5. Now what?

There's an answer to this question somewhere but I just had to ask.

Once you have your 4X5, 5X7 or 8X10 system (camera body, lens, film holders, tripod, etc.), just how do you transport all this stuff? Most camera bags are designed with with smaller format cameras bodies in mind.

I'm primarily interested in how people transport and protect their 4X5 gear. Especially, those photographers that may need to hike from their base location (auto, tent, cabin, etc.) where ever that may be to their prospective shooting location.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For 4x5: 1 alu case for the camera, one for the lenses, one for the filmholders
    For 8x10: one aditional alu case.
    Mmmmmmmm, that is for the Sinar P2 that I have, for the Shen Hao I don't know yet, I have not seen it, it is in Holland and I am in Brazil.

Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Tamrac Expedition 7. Handles everything from my SLR systems up to 4x5 (never tried to jam a 5x7 in there). A 2x3 Graphic will actually fit turned vertically. I've had it packed to about 30 lbs, at which point I find the harness isn't providing as much support as it needs. I've done a bunch of long hikes with it at around 25 lbs though. There's a slightly larger version but you need to decide what you really need and limit it.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 3 wheel jogging stroller. I like having all my toys with me, and all that LF gear is more than I want to carry.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use one of the very large Pelican cases for the 4X5. It is large enough for everything except tripod. The 8X10 has a separate aluminum case for just the camera that was originally custom made for some sort of testing equipment. If I am going a short distance I can use the wheels on the case or or put the entire case on a hand truck depending on the distance and surface. If I am going farther I just take the items I want in a backpack. When I am away from the truck I leave the case padlocked and chained to the seat supports in the back seat of the truck.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Such an eclectic assortment of gear to tackle the same problem. A jogging stroller! - who would have thought.

Peter, case management must be fun for you ... are they color-coded (green case for holders, blue for lenses)? I think if I had to haul more that two cases, I'd probably talk myself out of going.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A Gregory Rock Creek internal frame pack that opens suitcase style, front zip, has been my go-to pack for mushing my stuff around for the past couple of decades. It's made of denser weave nylon than most packs use now. It's worn like iron and that's saying something becaus just out my door is the thickest scrubbiest wilderness of chaparral imaginable, which shreds most other packs quickly. I lined it with cut Ensolite foam that can be reconfigured for any of my gear from 35mm and now 4x5. The suspension system is excellent-- better than any large dedicated camera pack I've tried or seen. Have carried as much as 65 lbs of cameras, tripod and camping gear into the backcountry with it. Weighs maybe 2/3 what the purpose-built ones do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use just what you'd think. A back pack.

My old Osprey daypack is great for 5x4 and would hold bigger formats with ease. Holds the camera, my lenses (5 max), film holders (10 max), meter, filters, all the bits and pieces, all the way to 3 liters of water bladder with a sip tube, and the tripod/ball head fits easily on the back, one leg in each of the straps designed to hold skis. Nicely balanced and a suspension system to love. It's a joy to hike with.

If I'm fully loaded that's about 16Kg. I've taken this rig over some nice long hikes. The longest was from Yosemite Valley floor up the trail to Vernal Fall, then to the top of Nevada Fall and back to the valley floor. Took all day (literally about 15 hours) and I used up all 20 sheets of film in my 10 holders.

If you want to hike it in, use hiker tools and you should be fine. If I can do it, you can do it.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah - an internal frame backpack sounds like it might be the ticket. I think I'd like to go with a muti-format type pack arrangement to hold both 35mm and 4X5 gear. Hopefully, a "goldilocks" balance of form and function. Not too much. Not too little --just right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use a tripod ...... 5x4 monorail goes on tripod - tripod goes over shoulder !!
    Darkslides and extras go in a very small backpack.

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin