Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,178   Online: 1261

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Is there a 4x5 I could pack while Mt. biking?

Every time I return to this subject in my mind (rather often), I realize I just need a bigger format for what I like to shoot (landscape/nature). I've tried 3 medium format cameras and wasn't really that sold on any of them...for the hassle over 35mm shooting, I may as well shoot something big (or so I always think when schlepping a 6x7 MF or something around).

So...is there a place I can look to start getting some knowledge of portable LF systems, and how big one would really be? Ideally I'd like to be able to put something in a back pack small enough to Mt. bike with. If I can't do that, I may as well stick to my 35mm stuff, or perhaps find that perfect MF camera out there somewhere...
    Thanks for discussion,
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Find a nice Crown Graphic with a good lens, shutter and bellows. Not too expensive, can fit newer lenses etc., repairable, rangefinder or ground glass, surprisingly rugged, best of all; folds up small and is light weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've no personal experience of the camera, but was interested to read a user's view of the Walker XL at the link below. Further up the price range there are non-folding Ebony models as well.
    http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=903

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a Toyo 45CF (carbon fiber) which is light and folds up nicely with a 135 or 150 lens in place. Also, probably the cheapest 4x5 on the market today. I can hike and carry it in a shoulder bag.

I think if you were really clever, you could turn your bike upside down and use it as a tripod, with 1/4" bolt welded to the bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll second Paul. They're rugged and best of all not very expensive. Add in a Grafmatic or two instead of double sided film holders to save a bit on size and weight. Of course, my opinion might be a bit biased since I happen to have 3 Crown Graphics and a couple of Grafmatics I'm looking to sell.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll third Paul, and second Fotoguy who has what you need available.... Best, Bill
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Toho 45FC. Very small, light weight, with plenty of movements, and bellows extension. Mine is perfect for backpacking. Refer to Kerry Thallmans website.
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tripod's the trouble, so to speak. So if you don't want to handhold with something like a Razzle like SMBooth suggests, you're in for another compromise. Stability versus weight/size, but you know that from the bike. Where to put the tripod? Certainly not sticking up from a backpack, I shudder to imagine the possible hangups. Bungie-corded to the top tube, perhaps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin