Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,960   Online: 788

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Horseman 970 Technical

Afternoon all, As above any one using one of these, what are they like, got my card ready, also looking at a Ebony 45.

Any good or bad reports welcome, as this is my first venture into 4x5.

Graham

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Horseman 970 is a 6x9 roll film camera. A fine beast, but not a 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for pointing that out to me. I have just had a look at the advert again, yes it 6x9 but it comes with a 5x4 back. Being this is a old in years camera what would you expect they should go for. In the end it is only what the buyer is prepared to pay. It is displayed as very new, that is in use.

Graham

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Horseman fixed or focusing 4x5 adapter backs for the 6x9 technical cameras are OK for the occasional special situation, but IMO they are too clumsy and limited if your main purpose is to shoot 4x5. Much better to go for a 4x5 camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Oren. You might want to check out the Horseman FA. It is a dedicated, lightweight 4x5 using the same front standard as the 6x9 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Graham, I use an Ebony SW45 which is great for wide angle photography but will only allow infinity focusing of lenses to 180 or a little longer if they're of the tele-photo design. I do use lenses up to 240 with the 'top hat' panel and extension tubes. An extension back is also available for using longer focal length lenses. But this of course all adds to the cost.

What I like about the SW it's of the non-folding design so will accept almost any lens attached when transporting. This design is compact and quick to set up, useful for those fleeting moments The bellows are also very supple and allows great flexibility with short focus lenses like the Super Angulon 47XL and the Apo Gradagon 35 (this lens will cover 6x12cm but not 4x5).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin