Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,670   Online: 715

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I did have a petzval lens affliction for a while.... and still do to some extent, I was not weighed down by too many choices in that regard, but for me it is all about learning to see how the lens sees. I have my fair share of LF and MF lenses. All work great and I can use them all without missing a beat. What get's in the way for me anymore in my middle years is too much choice. Making things simple, and carrying limited kit makes you work harder, but also faster.... Step forward or backwards :-) and you get the same image for the most part over carrying more gear. In the case of LF and the petzvals, logistics like needing a packard shutter, ND filters (especially for film!) all add up to weight, and more complexity and potential to screw up images. I really feel those lense are best suited to when you have more time to do still life, or for portraiture. I now know why the wet platers use them. While not impossible to use with film, they cramp spontaneity for me. I use them but for the right shots anymore.

That was one reason why I made my own 4x5 pinhole camera. I love the big negs and dreamy quality , but hate the set up of a LF camera.... Pinhole takes that out of the equation, and relies more on your instincts and familiarity of the angle of view the pinhole creates.... You become the lens in a sense. Again it's about seeing how the lens sees.

MF gets most use for me and I have a medium amount of lenses for the work I endulge in. I can pack quite lightly even with a blad, 3 lenses, 2 backs, and 15 rolls of film, in a small Lowepro Orion Waist pack, and still have room to bring a pinhole camera along. It is the best all round kit for my way of working anyway. Would I like more lenses for my Blad kit?? Maybe. Would I get better pictures, probably not. As I keep reiterating, the photographers vision, or exploitation of how the lens sees is what's important. For those folsk who have tons of lenses, have at it, as long as you are in control. For those that have fewer or one lens, I know you make it work for you. Sometimes, another perspective or angle of view can make a huge difference. In the end it comes down to personal preference, workflow, and need. The latter not always being rational :-) hence the term GAS. I've been guilty of it myself, but I do not believe more lenses and equipment can necessarily buy better images. YMMV.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You guys are pretty funny.
    . . . .

I'm just like you guys when it comes to collecting music, though. I have about 3,000 albums for each turntable I own.
    Good morning, Thomas;

An interesting revelation. And, sir, just how many turntables are in the collection?

Please remember that this question is coming from a man who has "open end wrenches, box wrenches, combination wrenches, flare nut wrenches, tappet wrenches, miniature wrenches, short wrenches, long wrenches, six point and twelve point standard and deep sockets, and a pair of Vicegrip pliers or two."
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Thomas;

An interesting revelation. And, sir, just how many turntables are in the collection?

Please remember that this question is coming from a man who has "open end wrenches, box wrenches, combination wrenches, flare nut wrenches, tappet wrenches, miniature wrenches, short wrenches, long wrenches, six point and twelve point standard and deep sockets, and a pair of Vicegrip pliers or two."
    What! no crowsfoot wrenches? what about ratcheting box wrenches? Need a nice set of digital SnapOn torque wrenches?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just put numbers 74 and 75 in the catalog. They will be going to Tonopah, too. I'm just a sucker for a big brass lens!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    I just put numbers 74 and 75 in the catalog. They will be going to Tonopah, too. I'm just a sucker for a big brass lens!
    :~'))
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My latest: I got an signment for a wood compagny that makes floors, doors and so on from solid brazilian woods............
    When I saw samples of it I got a severe GAS attack !!!!!!

He promissed me enough Brasil Wood (red brown fine grained hard wood) for a 4x5 field..........
    Got to build one !!!!!!!!!

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    What! no crowsfoot wrenches? what about ratcheting box wrenches? Need a nice set of digital SnapOn torque wrenches?
    I think my husband owned the entire Snap-On catalog at one time. But he is a mechanic.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't compete with that many lenses so I might bring an Instamatic with me and pretend to shoot. To simplify the process I will be making some fine contact prints from the Instamatic negatives.

I'm afraid to count the lenses I have, did you folks include enlarging lenses in the lot? The problem there is you buy an enlarger and some lenses come with it, you buy a lensboard and a lens comes with it. They might not be worth anything but you put them away. I don't know about the majority but I personally have not sold any photo equipment in 30 years.

It's not enough that the World is so large but the choices of equipment is also large. So as I yearn for a new 5x7 and or and an 8x10 I'm stuck enjoying the very old vintage equipment I have.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    I think my husband owned the entire Snap-On catalog at one time. But he is a mechanic.
    Good morning, Diane, and "epatsellis;"

Diane, you already know how addictive tools can be, whether for mechanical purposes, or for photographic purposes. At the same time, I also admit that I had purchased some tools to enable me to perform work either that could not be done without that tool, or was done in a much more expedient manner. There were a couple of times when having the tool meant just changing the offending part, rather than dismantleling the entire assembly to get to it.

"epatsellis," yes, there are crowfoot wrenches also, up to 2 & 3/8 inches (for me a special tool to use with certain traffic signal assemblies), and the ratcheting box wrenches, and a few others also. No, I did not have any digital torque wrenches. I was quite satisfied with a deflecting beam type, or a dial type, or a micrometer adjustment spring preloaded "click" type. The young man I started buying my tools from back in Washington, D. C., wound up eventually at the Snap-on Headquarters in Kenosha, Wisconsisn.

Why Snap-on tools? There is a difference in the way that they are built, and the way that they are finished. There is a difference in the way that a Hasselblad is built, and the way that a Kiev 88 is built. Just using the tools was a pleasant experience. It made work a more enjoyable activity for me. Mechanical work was always more relaxing and satisfying. Later I went back into electronics, because I could earn more money that way. I had a need to make more money at that time. Getting unmarried can change an awful lot in your life.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes Ralph. I do know. This is why I have so many lenses at home and often still find myself lusting after another one. The fact that I have the available lens/camera is probably why I haven't sold anything, since I usually find a use for it/them eventually.

My husband has worked on semi trucks, cars, school buses, you name it over the last 30+ years, so he's needed most every tool at one time or other, I am sure.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin