Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,085   Online: 987

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Severe G. A. S. Attack

I may be suffering from a previously undiagnosed case of acute G. A. S. (gear acquisition syndrome). In thinking about what I would take to the workshop in Tonopah, I decided to do an inventory of all my LF lenses. After rummaging through all my cases, bags, boxes, and cabinets I came up with 69 lenses. While I know that this is nothing compared to the severity of Jim Galli's case, I was still surprised. These things can really sneak up on you over the years!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is where being poor really pays off. I have to sell something most times in order to make a new purchase. My last such was getting rid of all my 3 months old di*(il Nikon D700 equipment for a leica M6 and glass. In my case it worked out for the better as I took my passion up about 3 notches.

Make yourself poor, you won't have such problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    I may be suffering from a previously undiagnosed case of acute G. A. S. (gear acquisition syndrome). In thinking about what I would take to the workshop in Tonopah, I decided to do an inventory of all my LF lenses. After rummaging through all my cases, bags, boxes, and cabinets I came up with 69 lenses. While I know that this is nothing compared to the severity of Jim Galli's case, I was still surprised. These things can really sneak up on you over the years!
    I can use a 5X7 with holders and lens if you got one too spare,I was also going to the Tonopah workshop. Was going to bring my Hassel.,but would love to try out 5X7. Don't have G.A.S. cuz I'm very,Very poor.
    mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    69 LF lenses? I think that might even be more than I have, depending on how you count the eight casket sets...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I always thought 69 referred to focal length. I didn't know it was legal to have that many, wait til my wife finds out! ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I always thought 69 referred to focal length. I didn't know it was legal to have that many, wait til my wife finds out! ;p
    Careful! In some states it is not!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, I think casket sets aggravate the condition and that you would have to count all combinations for an accurate diagnosis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

In the last couple of months, I have been conducting an inventory of all of the photographic equipment. WARNING: Conducting an inventory of your photographic equipment can be an embarrassing process.

At this time, the old hp LaserJet 4M+ produces 14 pages of 8.5 by 11 printed sheets of paper. However, it is nice to have a listing of your equipment with a description and the serial numbers. I even found a couple of things I had forgotten. (Now I do not need to buy one of those.) (Yes, there are a couple of duplications.)
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, out of curiosity, what's the point of owning that many lenses? Do you ever fully exploit all of them? I could never understand... But I'm also not a gear collector.

I have one lens for my 5x7 and two for my 4x5 (out of which one actually works). I use one 50mm lens for my 35mm camera, two for my Hasselblad, and the Holga comes with whatever it came with and pinhole don't have any...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would just like to thank the original poster. I showed the message to my wife as a reminder of just how much more extreme things *could* be, and I think I made my own acquisitive life a little easier. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin