Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,179   Online: 764

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Anyone have experiences with this lens? How does this 210 stack up with other 210s? Can it cover 8x10? Thank you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello, I have one of these lenses, but have not used it much-yet. But it will NOT cover 8x10. I bought mine thinking that I was getting the f/6.8 version but did not look closely enough at the description and got the f/6.3 version. As Tim Atherton pointed out to me, the f/6.8 lens is a factory mounted process lens that without the shutter is an f/9.0 lens. These lenses will cover the 8x10 format and are reported to be great quality lenses(I have a 270/6.8 computar symmetrogon and it is one of my favorites--it covers 11x14!). For 4x5 or 5x7 the 210/6.3 lens is probably very good, as it was made for those formats and did not start out as a process lens.
    huh?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thank you David. I saw one on ebay and wanted to double check the claims by the seller.
    Francesco

The Computar Symmetrigon is a different lens design from the f9 Computar that people rave about for its large coverage. The Symmetrigon is a four-element airspaced design, which, despite its name, is not symmetrical. Computar spec'd the Symmetrigons as covering 72 degrees at f22, which, for the 210 mm version is a diameter of 308 mm. So the 210 mm Symmetrigon will probably cover 8x10 without allowing movements.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I am not surprised that the 210/6.3 C.S. is only a 4 element lens. It is light enough that that makes sense. But I can assure you that it will not cover 8x10. Or at least mine doesn't. It leaves the corners dark even when stopped all the way down.
    huh?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to find out a lot about the Computars, you may contact Prof. Lynn Jones (he was in the design group for these lenses).
    Very friendly person, BTW.

Lynn Jones <lynn@austin.cc.tx.us>

Jorge O

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin