Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,986   Online: 875

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Searching for the perfect 4x5 field camera...

Does anybody know of a 4x5 field camera that...

1) weighs less than 4 pounds
    2) uses technika style lens boards
    3) has front rise/fall
    4) front axis and base tilt (tilts must lock down independent of rise/fall)
    5) front swing (optional)
    6) rear base and axis tilt

...so far it is easy....
    ...here is where it gets difficult...

7) triple extension
    8) removable bellows
    9) rear focussing
    10) front standard moves forward back to accomodate focal length

I explicitly do NOT want Rear rise/fall or shift

Basically, I'm looking for something like a *Walker Titan SF on a diet....or a triple extension Ebony RW45 with a removable bellows...any ideas?

(* note: the Walker Titan does have rear shift but, it is so study that I am OK with it. and it has a way to lock it out - which is probably why it is so rigid back there).

Does Ebony build custom cameras (at somewhat reasonable prices?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you might check out the shen hao hzx4x5, although it has more movements than you want, but that should be easy to fix. Not sure what you mean by triple extension, you got me there! But shen hao will do some custom stuff if you wish, as will argentum, probably. I also am not sure about the independent locking, you might need to do some of your own minor engineering with these light field cameras. I mean, you could easily remove whatever movements you don't want and add extra locks.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Keith. The Shen is a beautiful camera and comes close but it is double extension...and, it doesn't look like you can focus with the back...and it simply weighs too much. Same as the Walker Titan - which is perfect except for the weight and lack of zero detents.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ebony does build custom cameras, but figure on a substantial premium over the most similar non-custom model, especially if the customization involves more than a straightforward recombination of existing options.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why can anyone recommend an American made camera? KB Canham: http://www.canhamcameras.com/

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...duct_list&c=97

More expensive than Shen Hao, but less than Ebony. Keeps the dollar here. Aren't I a chauvinist? HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Ebony does build custom cameras, but figure on a substantial premium over the most similar non-custom model, especially if the customization involves more than a straightforward recombination of existing options.
    That's actually encouraging. I don't think I'm looking for anything they couldn't build from existing parts...I imagine something like a SV45Ti with the back assembly from an RW45...or something like that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Why can anyone recommend an American made camera? KB Canham: http://www.canhamcameras.com/

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...duct_list&c=97

More expensive than Shen Hao, but less than Ebony. Keeps the dollar here. Aren't I a chauvinist? HA!
    I have owned both the DLC and the 4x5 wood field....I sorely regret selling the DLC - that was a NICE camera. The woodie is a really nice camera too. Fit my requirements pretty well - especially when I was still doing 5x7. When I decided to bail out of 5x7, I sold the Canham wood field and all that went with it....am happy to say that it went to a very good home. Anyway, it is kinda big and heavy as a 4x5 camera....but, it is almost the perfect 5x7 camera and oh, so beautiful to look at and fantastic in actual use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shen has just done some custom work for me. Just ask 'em- chances are that you can get whatever you want, at ebony-like level of quality, for a low price.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SV45 in mahogany and don't use the rear rise.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ask Keith Canham- he does do custom work too, but not exactly at a rabbit's pace.

You can kinda-sorta focus with the rear on a Shen-Hao, but it would be friction focus, not geared. But you're right, it is still only a double-extension camera, which eliminates the basic HZX from consideration. I can't see why it couldn't be converted to a triple, though, without too much work.

Keith-

double vs. triple extension refers to maximum bellows extension. Double extension is a rough measure, where single extension is the front standard and rear standard positioned at their respective ends of the base plate of the camera. Double then would be the front standard extended out beyond the baseboard an equal amount, and triple would be the rear also extended a similar amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin