Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,728   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

13" Wollensak APO Raptar

I bought this lens some years back from the famous dagor 77, who claimed it to be a goertz Artar copy. Can anyone confirm this? is this lens actually any good? For what it is worth its F10 and appears to be symetrical i.e. the front and rear elements seem identical.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 10.25" and it is a killer lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wonder how the coverage compares with the 14" Apochromatic Raptar? I just got one of these.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a 10.75 inch (273mm) f6.8 Wollensak Graphic Raptar wide field lens mounted in a Pi-Alphax shutter, sharp as a tack with some movement on a 7x17.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a 15" 380 mm Wollensak. I have not used it too much, but have had no unsurmountable problems with it. I picked it up for $50.00 about 15 years ago, still in the box. The only problem is that no filters will fit it. A 77 mm filter or adapter is just a hair too small. I frequently need a ND filter because the fastest shutteer speed on it is 1/50 of a second. It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter. That's a wierd max speed. I wonder what the original use was for the lens.

It is a real coincidence that your thread appeared today. I just used the lens this afternoon for the first time in several years, then saw the thread.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    I frequently need a ND filter because the fastest shutteer speed on it is 1/50 of a second. It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter. That's a wierd max speed. I wonder what the original use was for the lens.
    The Pi-Alphax on my 10.75 inch Raptar also has a top speed limit of 1/50th. I was told that these shutters were heavy duty and used in the catalog business where there was no need for speed and a high need for reliability.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a 15" that I use as a long lens on my 4x5. It is great and sharp as can be. I got this one for free!

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shutter release on the Wollensak

How do you attach a shutter release cable to these lenses? Moving the shutter lever down cocks and fires the shutter. There is a place to attach a release cable just below the leaver, but I cannot see that it has any effect on the cocking/release.

It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    How do you attach a shutter release cable to these lenses? Moving the shutter lever down cocks and fires the shutter. There is a place to attach a release cable just below the leaver, but I cannot see that it has any effect on the cocking/release.

It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter.

You need a cable-release with a long-throw for self-cocking shutters such as this. If it then still does not fire, you may have an internal shutter problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. That was the problem. I was able to make 2 mm long plug from a 6d finishing nail that just fits between the cable release. Now it will reach and fire the shutter. I can hardly wait to get out in the field and drop it in the grass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin